Repairing antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Looking over an antler cigar pen I turned about 6 months ago and found hairline cracks starting in several places (ie around the nib end). This is the thinnest area of the pen. The pen was originally finished with CA and polished with MM. The only way I can think of to try and save it is to take it apart, fill the cracks with CA and refinish. Will this work? Any other suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Unlikely the cracks will worsen or cause a problem. The classic method of preserving antler or bone is to soak in mineral oil. That will restore it to nearly original pre-drying out condition. Almost any oil can be used but mineral will not change color. When I want an 'antique' look, I use neatsfoot oil. If they really concern you, dribble in some thin CA.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Mineral oil may have a detrimental effect on the CA you used
to finish the pen.I have noticed this when I tried to use it in wet sanding.
Drizzling in thin CA will probably require a refinish job If you want the shine to be even.
I would go with a sanding medium or thick CA fill and polish.
Hard to determine the extent of the repair without seeing the pen in person.
Will this guarantee no more problems?
I can't say.It is an organic material subject to heat, humidity even with the CA finish.
Look at old ivory handled shaving kits.Most I have seen had "age" cracks and have yellowed.
It adds "character".I realize a crack may reveal the tube and in that case you most certainly will want to make the repair.

Rifleman1776

Effect on CA? Interesting possibility, I don't know. Master knife makers routinely soak their finished knives in mineral oil. What adhesives they use for the slabs, I don't know. This would make a worthwhile experiment. Not all antler cracks and even minor cracks usually do not present a problem. I have two knives with antler handles I made more than a half-century ago that haven't cracked. I did rub, not soak, them with neatsfoot oil a couple decades ago. I guess the bottom line is, don't worry about it unless the cracks are quite large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom