Repair/fill suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodyoureally

I have two stabilized/colored maple burl blanks that broke on me. The red one was during a dissasembly and the purple one was on the lathe while turning it.

I was trying to think of what I can use to fill or repair these. The purple one has more options due to being on the end and not assembled yet. I know i could cut it clean and just patch in a scrap piece to turn it down, but also curious about other options.

The red one is the one I am really thrown on. I can't get that centerband/thread out of the tube so it seems I am really limited on how I can repair/save.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

Maybe throw it back on the lathe and turn the void area cleanly and squarely down to the barrel. Then mix some coffee grounds or some other powder with epoxy to fill the void. Then turn it to match the profile and finish.

You might even be brave and turn a matching band on the top barrel so it looks like it was planned.

Last edited:

EdGallop41

I have a bin with some blanks that look like that, among other stuff, that I may later try to play with or find another use. I'd likely move on by making new blanks if I had one as bad as yours.

Dale Allen

On another note, you may want to consider using epoxy to glue in the tubes, assuming you are using something else.
The brass looks like it has no glue residue and I'd suspect that other areas will be prone to leaving the tube as well.

Top Bottom