Repair Attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

I was turning a custom ribbon blank and I got a chip out down to the brass about 1/4" from the end. This tube will be the nib tube of a junior gent. The chip is not big - about the size of the tip of a worn pencil.

My attempted fix is tinted 5 min epoxy slowly blended into the hole like I was applying putty. After about 1 hour I have a small dimple.

My plan - let it sit overnight to set; put it back on the lathe and sand the remainder of the blank (i am within .5 of the finished dimension); If I still have a dimple - drop in some CA and repeat the sanding.

Any thoughts on my chances of blending in my oooops?

Pic of repair - sorry for the poor quality

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

t001xa22

Paul, if it helps, I have had to make several repairs to acrylics like that. I basically used the same method you did, and most of the time, it worked well. After I was able to build up a slight dimple, I did a very light shave cut with my skew held at an angle to the horizontal rotation. This seemed to give me a nicer planing action than a flat cut. When the shave felt just about flush with the surface, I proceeded with my final wet sanding. Of course, my final result was dependent on my skill with the color matching. Hope this may help.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If it does not work, to your satisfaction, turn off the bad spot, down to the brass, then turn off an equal amount on the other end. Insert a contrasting color "oops ring" on both ends.

Pjohnson

update:

The nib tube repaired pretty nicely. Just my luck the same thing just happend to the cap end. I used epoxy to glue the tubes. Clearly I did not spread it evenly. Now I am doing the same repair on the cap end.

If this does not work to my satisfaction - I am going with an oooops ring.

Top Bottom