Rendezvous impression, pen display

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
I just returned from Provo - I really enjoyed the time out there, busy though it was. Not enough time to chat! During the Rendezvous I did not get enough time to talk with enough people... and some I particularly wanted to chat with left the next day which I did not know. Well, maybe next year! I think overall the meeting was a success. I will send out a feedback request to all the folks I have email addresses for. But anyone getting this note can just send me direct feedback also.

Unfrtunately I did not have time to attend the demos. I really wanted to see both demos... I know Don did an excellent write-up, and one of these days I will try the method. The finish he produces looks good! I hope Bill will make a little write-up of his method of attaching clips. How about it, Bill? We have a files area on the www.penmakersguild.com! But everyone seemed to really enjoy the demos, both at CSU and at the Rendezvous. I know one of the suggestions we'll get is to get a larger room for the demos at the Hampton. Well, that's not possible - we used up all the space they have! If we were to double the demo area we'd lose 1/3 of the large space.

The pen display was excellent I thought! Having the folders with the 3x5 cards identifying each pen was great! Shame on those of you that did not send one - all we could do is put up the name. Next year we'll require that. Probably also a clear text version so we can put it up as a caption on teh pen display website. But we got surprisingly few votes! We had only 30 ballots!!! That's with over 100 people attending the Rendezvous alone! Maybe part of it was nobody dared to touch the ballots that were in the beautiful bowl Don Ward made, maybe people were too impressed by the elaborate, wondeful ballot box Rusty Miller built. I will need to post a picture of both of these when I get them back in the mail. With so few votes, it is no surprise that we had a lot of ties in the final counting.

Kurt posted the winners in each category on http://www.penmakersguild.com/provo06/pp06/pendisplay06names.htm . I will notify the winners of their prize in a week or so - I have a lot of work left for the AAW convention this week yet. Hope the winners don't mind a small delay.

I am thinking next year maybe will add online voting for the pen display, just to get some more votes in and involve people that can't attend. Or get rid of the competitive aspect altogether - I'll make up a poll in a while for some options, see what everyone feels like.

The grand door prize - the Rikon mini-lathe donated by Woodcraft - went to Bill Jackman - lucky devil! His daughter Elysa helped out at the admission table. Thanks Elysa! Elysa is also getting started in pen turning - and she won a buffing mandrel shaft. We had a LOT of door prizes - many donated by members of our groups. A big thanks to all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Thanks to Rich and Kurt for an excellent job organizing the Rendezvous. It was great! Rich(Kleinhenz), Kurt (Hertzog), Brian and Mark (Gisi) did great demos at the Craft Supplies open house on Wednesday. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by scubaman
<br />I just returned from Provo - I really enjoyed the time out there, busy though it was. Not enough time to chat! ...

Deere41h

I too would like to thank Rich and Kurt. These kinds of projects can't be put on without a great deal of effort. It is very much appreciated.

I am just sorry I was not able to attend. Sounds like a good time was had by all. I <b><u>WILL</u></b> be there next year!!!

Sawdustman

The demonstrations were very well done and yes, the room at the Hampton was too small. One and only one disappointment was the lack of vendors. I did manage to get some fountain pen nibs but was really devastated to find that Bill Baumbeck was not there. I think there was much more last year as far as vendors. I actually held off ordering some things thinking I would be able to pick them up there. Overall though, thanks for all the hard work of the few and I was really happy with the demos.
Art

Johnathan

Very nice time.

I would have enjoyed watching the demos but there was just not enough room, maybe next year.

Thanks to all that were involved in the planing. I think everyone had a great time.

I too would have loved to see more vendors.

bobaltig

I too will chime in and say thanks to Rich and Kurt for a wonderful time at the Rendezvous. It was in the middle of our summer vacation and was also the highlight of our vacation. Even my wife got a kick out of seeing the pens and meeting the pen turners. She has never done anything even closely related to woodworking, but found the displays and demos interesting.

So much work goes into organizing a meeting of that size, and Rich and Kurt, and some others I'm sure who remained in the background, did a splendid job. Kudos to all of you. We will definitely be back next year, for sure.

Bob A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom