Ren Wax vs TSW --- Please compare/contrast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

An invitation to wax poetically about the relative virtues of these two final treatments for pen blanks.

I already have Ren Wax, do I need TSW too?

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

I use CA glue as a finish, and then I take out small scratches with EEE UltraShine, and then TSW while on the lathe gives it a nicer shine. Then before I take photos I use Renaissance Wax which seems to me to shine it a little more.

M

Mudder

When I made my submission to the PMG I made several barrels and used Ren wax on some and TSW on others. I had access to a microscope that goes from 50x to 2500x. At extremely high power I could see minute scratches (well, they actually looked like valleys). I noticed that several applications of Ren wax did not seem to "build" and I guessed that the solvents in the wax stripped off the "old layer" and just redeposited the wax. When I added several coats of TSW I noticed that the scratches got smaller and smaller until the seemed to disappear. I also noticed that the shine seemed to become "deeper" with more applications of TSW.

I still use Ren wax but for my "high end" pens I always use TSW.

I would suggest that you try both products and choose whatever you feel is best.

BTW: Mine was an acrylic blank and the person I submitted the pen to commented that the finish looked like glass.

gerryr

I wouldn't count on Lou saying anything about it. I prefer TSW to Ren Wax because I don't like the solvents in Ren Wax. I do have Ren Wax with me at shows in case a pen needs to be shined up a bit.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Dan, in my opinion you would use one or the other as they have basically the same purpose which is to provide a shine and protection from fingerprints. I prefer TSW since Ren Wax smells like oil to me. The TSW is pleasantly scented. Is that a scientific declaration, no, just my preference.

DocStram

Before I hand over a pen to a buyer ... I ALWAYS give it one last rub of TSW. Even right now, here at the office, I keep an extra container of TSW in my desk. When a colleague happens to walk into my office with one of my pens ... I'll usually ask to see it ... then give the pen another quick wipe of TSW.

ahoiberg

tsw reminds one of a pina colada. it's all i've ever used, but i'm sure ren wax is good stuff too. they're both expensive, that's for sure.

Dan_F

Thanks to all, keep the resposes coming, though it looks like I'll be trying some. At that price, I guess I won't be using it to wax my tablesaw top!

Dan

Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier for the TSW, I'd like to get some but AS doesn't ship to Canada? Maybe someone would be interested in sending me some, I do paypal, thanks in advance.:)

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by devowoodworking

Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier for the TSW, I'd like to get some but AS doesn't ship to Canada? Maybe someone would be interested in sending me some, I do paypal, thanks in advance.:)

John, as a former Canadian distributor for TSW, I can sell you the last two containers that are left. E-mail for details.

Top Bottom