Removing twist mechanism from Sierra Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I have been experiencing poor luck with the lower cost kits coming out of Berea. Even the 10 to 16 dollar kits haven't been what they were 2 years ago (just my experience, but over 40 or so if their pens) This time, the transmission will not operate and I am going to have to remove it. It worked until I slide it into the barrel (basically the final step). Now it is just stuck in barrel. I have no idea why it is stuck. I ensure the inside of the tubes are clean; I even chamfered the tubes slightly because I was installing a laser cut, CA-finished blank and wanted to make sure the components were aligned with the inside of the tube before I pressed them.

This is the pen's instructions: Sierra® Elegant Beauty Dark Tit. Coffee/Satin Chrome: Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Thanks for reading and any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Tony, the instructions are the same ones for the last 12 years. The finial operates the transmission and the turned tube positions the finial.

Take a close look ar the inside of the finial piece for engagement with the top of the tranny.

Have had a few where the dark lower barrell comes loose and spins so the twisting does not have the effect of moving the transmission.

Last edited:

magpens

Tony, I have no idea what the problem is but I will be thinking about it during Shut-Eye tonight ! :)

I have made dozens of those style pens without any problems.

They do say that particular version of the kit is "experimental" but I'm pretty sure they are referring to the plating.

Mortalis

You should be able to pull the pen apart to expose the transmission. The transmission should unthread from the tip.
I have made a few of these types of pens (Sierra, Eclipse, Gatsby, Mesa) and found that after I assembled the pen, the barrel would not rotate or rotated very stiffly. The issue has always (for me at least) been a defective transmission. Not sure exactly what the issue was but when I removed the transmission it would work fine so I assume it is an alignment issue of some type of the transmission to the ID of the finial. When I contacted the distributor they would send a new transmission from a new batch and it would work just fine without any further adjustments to any other parts of the pen.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks all; here are some pics. I think the finial simply threads on to the clip retention ring assembly and the transmission is engaged by rotating the barrel. This is different from the other Sierra types that I have made. Oh well, I got to get the transmission out of there. I don't see how can without damaging the transmission. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1A Elegant Sierra_LI.jpg
    1A Elegant Sierra_LI.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 1B Elegant Sierra_LI.jpg
    1B Elegant Sierra_LI.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 1 Elegant Sierra.jpg
    1 Elegant Sierra.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 268

KenV

Way different design than the instructions show for that pen. Understand the conundrum of disassembly with the photos.

Disassembly will probably be with a pair of captured plates and screw jacks rather than punches and mallet.

Dale Allen

I'd say you should be able to easily push the trany out by pushing from the top.
It is a friction fit and should be easy. I'm also guessing that for some reason the trany assembly came unscrewed from the lower section. Look in the lower section that holds the nib and see if you can see threads inside on the upper end. You may need a magnifier and flashlight to see in there.

Edited: forget most of the above.
This looks like one I have apart. Let me get a picture of it and re-post.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks Ken, Dale, Larry, et al ...that is what I am talking about (i.e. instructions incorrect). I just got it to work. Believe it or not, I beat the heck out the transmission being willing to sacrifice it and it still worked fine. I had to use 150 grit sp on a mandrel (attached to a drill) and reduce the inside diameter of the tube. That's is after I clean the inside of the tube with a fine rat's tail file yesterday, chamfered it, and hit with 600 grip sp just for good measure. Evidently, that was not enough. I am not into "ranting" a vendor (especially for a $8 kit), but one shouldn't have to do that to get a pen to work. Any way, my beautiful wife, Lori, is enjoying the pen now. Here's one of my "classic" horror pics (even Lori said they stink :), and getting worse! ). Thanks for all of "yous gizes" help. (Italian- Brooklyn for y'all) .

Attachments

• Dog Paws Elegant Sierra.jpg
    Dog Paws Elegant Sierra.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you and don't doubt your statement. The kit name and the directions match those of Berea. They were repackaged by one of our suppliers, but the instructions they enclosed were from Berea. Do you know who the kit belongs to? Thanks again!

curlyjoe

Tony, It is hard to say who it would belong to. There are so many cheap knockoffs of Berea's original design and most of them use Berea's copyrighted instructions.

TonyL

It is actually not a bad kit, now that I know to remove a little brass from the inside of the tube. Thanks for everyone's help.

TonyL

I learned today, from the reseller, that the kit I had the issue with is one sold by Dayacom. My recent experience with the Berea kits is what I said it was. However, this kit is not theirs according to the reseller. I assumed it was because the kits came with instructions that were composed by Berea. I want to make sure that I correct my assumption from my earlier posts relating Berea to this kit. My apologies.

Top Bottom