Removing Triton Plastic Centerband Insert...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

anyone have a good method for removing the plastic Center band insert from the Triton cap section, without messing up the finish? Doesn't matter if I have to bugger up the insert. BTW - The finial slid in too easily, so I epoxied it in, I wont be able to get at the insert that way. Thanks

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

You may be surprised at how easy it will be to "break" the epoxy bond to remove the finial. It is likely with your years of pen work, that you have some experience with tapping out finial and centerband components during pen disassembly. I use the shelf liner pad material and just grip the cap in my hand while using the largest size punch that will fit thru the CB end. The key is LIGHT taps with a small/medium weight hammer, but many, many LIGHT taps (about a million or so :biggrin:). This will break the epoxy bond easier than you would expect. If the finial is a two part one, it will self-disassemble in the process, and just need to be glued back together once you are reassembling. From that point, you can work the disassembly of the CB end.

I hope it works out (literally) for you!

Timbo

You may be surprised at how easy it will be to "break" the epoxy bond to remove the finial. It is likely with your years of pen work, that you have some experience with tapping out finial and centerband components during pen disassembly. I use the shelf liner pad material and just grip the cap in my hand while using the largest size punch that will fit thru the CB end. The key is LIGHT taps with a small/medium weight hammer, but many, many LIGHT taps (about a million or so :biggrin:). This will break the epoxy bond easier than you would expect. If the finial is a two part one, it will self-disassemble in the process, and just need to be glued back together once you are reassembling. From that point, you can work the disassembly of the CB end.

I hope it works out (literally) for you!

Immediately after making my original post I went back in the shop, wrapped the cap in painters tape to protect it, then tried using my center punch to remove the finial. After all...I've use this method many times in the past with great success. Not this time...the finial didn't budge an inch...and I gave it a lot of taps, some pretty hard ones too. So being stubborn...I went to more drastic measures. First I pulled out the decorative metal center band piece using just my hands, it took a lot of force but it did come out. Then I chucked a drill bit in my variable speed portable drill that was just a little larger than the inside diameter of the plastic insert. I slowly drilled into the insert until it was starting to feel snug, then continued drilling while gently pulling on the drill as if to remove the bit. Instead of the drill bit coming out, the entire insert slowing started to back out. Finally the insert came completely out still attached to the drill bit. I removed the protective tape from the cap, and to my delight there was no damage to the finish. Now all I need to do is attach the decorative center band onto a new insert, then press it back into the cap...THIS TIME WITH THE GRAIN ORIENTED CORRECTLY TO MATCH THE NIB SECTION!!!

If anyone else gets into a situation where they need to try this, I used a 25/64" jobber drill bit. This will probably work on a JrGent2 and other similar size kits.

magpens

Glad to hear you have had success ! . While you were drilling, did you hold the taped-up cap in your other hand ?

SteveG

You know what they say, about the plurality of ways to skin a cat! :eek:

I am glad you got it to move for you with no damage to other areas. Way to go!

Top Bottom