Removing transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

Get a block of wood longer than the transmission.
Drill a 1/4"* hole all the way through the block.
Slip the block over the transmission, insert the punch in the other end of the barrel, and press the transmission out with a vise, clamp, pen press, or similar.

*Basically, the block is there to support the pen barrel while you press out the transmission, so the hole has to provide clearance for the transmission but fit pretty close so as to provide lots of support for the barrel to avoid damage. Depending on the kit/transmission, you may need to go slightly bigger than 1/4".

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

I always end up ruining the end of the tranny when I use a hammer and punch to get it apart.

I'll need to try using the wood block and my vise the next time I need to remove a transmission. (I'm sure there will be another time or two that I need to dissamble a pen) lol

JimB

It really shouldn't be that hard to remove. You may want to consider the cause of the problem to correct it in the future. My guess is you probably have a very, very small amount of glue in the tube causing an extremely tight fit for the tranny. It must have been very hard to press in. That is your first sign that something is wrong.

bensoelberg

I assume you are using talking about a 7mm transmission. This is the system that has worked the best for me. In a scrap piece of wood, drill a hole that is as close to the diameter of the transmission as possible. On a band saw, cut a straight line through the length of the hole so that it can be spread apart (similar to a collet). Buy 2 washers with a 1/4" hole in the middle. Place both washers over the transmission. Insert the transmission into the hole drilled into your scrap piece of wood and push it down the transmission until the block is seated about 3/16th-1/4" away from the end of your barrel. You should now have your turned barrel, 2 washers over the inserted transmission, a small gap, scrap wood over the transmission. Put a clamp on the scrap wood so that it pinches the transmission and won't slide off. If you've drilled your hole the right size, it shouldn't damage the transmission at all. Place one of the washers against the barrel, and the other against the scrap block. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry the two washers apart. This prying motion will push the scrap block and the turned barrel further apart also. Since the transmission is gripped by the scrap block, it will be pulled from the tube. To release the transmission from the scrap block, insert the screwdriver into the slot cut the lenghth of the hole and lightly twist it to widen the hole. This should free the transmisson. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ohiococonut

I've had this happen twice and both times I was able to salvage the pen by drilling out the transmission. When I tried pulling it out with vise grips it usually gets broken off. I just finished breaking off the rest flush with the tube and drill it out with a drill press holding the pen in my hand. I should mention that you need a complete set of drill bits in 64ths in order to step it up to size. It's not the easiest but I don't have a set of punches, yet. And usually the last drill bit I use grabs what's left of the tranny and pulls it out.

Mark

I assume you are using talking about a 7mm transmission. This is the system that has worked the best for me. In a scrap piece of wood, drill a hole that is as close to the diameter of the transmission as possible. On a band saw, cut a straight line through the length of the hole so that it can be spread apart (similar to a collet). Buy 2 washers with a 1/4" hole in the middle. Place both washers over the transmission. Insert the transmission into the hole drilled into your scrap piece of wood and push it down the transmission until the block is seated about 3/16th-1/4" away from the end of your barrel. You should now have your turned barrel, 2 washers over the inserted transmission, a small gap, scrap wood over the transmission. Put a clamp on the scrap wood so that it pinches the transmission and won't slide off. If you've drilled your hole the right size, it shouldn't damage the transmission at all. Place one of the washers against the barrel, and the other against the scrap block. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry the two washers apart. This prying motion will push the scrap block and the turned barrel further apart also. Since the transmission is gripped by the scrap block, it will be pulled from the tube. To release the transmission from the scrap block, insert the screwdriver into the slot cut the lenghth of the hole and lightly twist it to widen the hole. This should free the transmisson. Hope this helps.

I've used this method a couple of times. I always keep several spare trannies around in case I find a bad one. I bought a pack of ten from Smitty awhile back. I still have 8 left. :) The above mentioned method really does work well. BTW: You can use it if you seat the tranny to deep. Instead of removing it totally, you can just pop it however far your calipers tell you too.

workinforwood

It's unusual, but I've had a couple slims that I couldn't get the tranny out with a punch and had to resort to just drilling it out. I also have one of those slim disassemble tools and I had used it to remove a stubborn tranny and no only did the rod not remove the tranny, but the rod also got wedged inside the pen..to this very day I still have the pen section with rod stuck in it.

clapiana

Timely thread I screwed up 3 this morning ;(

Mark or bensoelberg a picture is worth a 1000 words do you have one? My brain is still foggy apparently

Blessings
Craig

sbwertz

This is not the "2 washer" method, but is is quick and easy.

Take a drilled blank that is the same size as the pen you are working on.

IMG_2668.JPG

Place the transmission into the hole in the drilled blank and insert a punch (or other rod of appropriate diameter) into the pen barrel from the open end

IMG_2671.JPG

Using a pen press, or a vise, or the tailstock of the lathe, press the rod into the barrel until the transmission is pushed out of the barrel and into the drilled blank.

IMG_2674.JPG

Hope this helps

Chasper

Hit it with a bigger hammer. That will fix almost anything.

I have drilled them out on rifle cartridge pens when I could not get anything inside to pound it out with. Break off the exposed part, hang on tight. and drill into it with a 1/4 inch bit. If you are lucky the remant of the transmission will end up stuck on the bit.

Geppetto

Another method

I've had success removing 7mm transmissions by clamping the transmission into my drill press and pulling or carefully prying the blank off. It works to reposition the transmission if you insert it too far but I'm not sure about how it would work for a transmission that is glued in.

sbwertz

It's unusual, but I've had a couple slims that I couldn't get the tranny out with a punch and had to resort to just drilling it out. I also have one of those slim disassemble tools and I had used it to remove a stubborn tranny and no only did the rod not remove the tranny, but the rod also got wedged inside the pen..to this very day I still have the pen section with rod stuck in it.

Yeah, I have on of those too. I clamped the pen section in the vise and hammered the rod out with a smaller punch. Now I use a drilled pen blank instead of the metal block from the kit and a one-sized smaller punch.

PenMan1

I just put a deep well socket (1/4 inch, I think) into the jaws of my vice and tap from the nib end with a transfer punch. I've never had issues with this method.

Top Bottom