Removing the transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

I have a slimline that I want to put back on the lathe, but I am having trouble getting the transmission out. It's really in there tight.

Any tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

First, use a correctly sized transfer punch to knock out the nib. Then slide the transmission through a 1/4 inch socket, or a nut that will allow the transmission to go through the center and still touch the sides of the pen barrel.

Then, with the nut or socket side toward the vice jaws, place the pen barrel on the vice tightened enough to keep the socket or nut from falling through.

Then tap out the transmission with a correctly sized transfer punch and hammer.

randyrls

Darryl; This comes up rather often; Get a set of "Transfer Punches". This comes in a set like drill bits from 1/16" to 1/2"+ in 1/64" increments. You can find these at Harbor Freight or Woodcraft. Clean all the oil off them.
Remove the ink fill. Insert the 1/8" size thru the transmission. Grip the blank firmly in one hand and lightly tap on the transfer punch with a small hammer. Many light taps are better than one hard blow. Catch the nib on something soft to prevent scratches. Now use a larger punch and the same technique to punch out the transmission. after doing this, you may have to CA glue in the nib and tranny. Be sure not to get CA glue on the tranny

jp_white

Two options at least, maybe three.....

Darryl,

I use this homemade pen press and have made additional blocks that allow room for the transmission to be pressed out.
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/pen_assembly_press.html

If the transmission is in really tight and you just need a touch up you could.... turn your own bushing and turn between centers. This may give you some ideas.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/makingbushings.pdf

You could also chuck a drill bit or punch in your drill press and push the transmission into a piece of wood that has the proper size hole.

Good luck,
Jeff

Last edited:

dhallnc

First, use a correctly sized transfer punch to knock out the nib. Then slide the transmission through a 1/4 inch socket, or a nut that will allow the transmission to go through the center and still touch the sides of the pen barrel.

Then, with the nut or socket side toward the vice jaws, place the pen barrel on the vice tightened enough to keep the socket or nut from falling through.

Then tap out the transmission with a correctly sized transfer punch and hammer.

Andy, how do you get to the nib with the transmission in the way?

Thanks.

PenMan1

Darrell;
To use the method I listed, you use a very small transfer punch to go in through the transmission. It doesn't have to be a transfer punch, either. You can use a piece of aluminum round stock the size of a slimline
Refill. Those are available at HD in the fastener section. A piece a foot long costs about .75

IMHO, the only thing worth having from harbor freight is their $10 transfer punch set. If you have HF in Charlotte, you'll want to get one of these sets.

hilltopper46

randyrls said:
Grip the blank firmly in one hand and lightly tap on the transfer punch with a small hammer. Many light taps are better than one hard blow

Wearing a nitrile glove on the hand holding the pen barrel can be very helpful when doing this. If it doesn't move with the first few taps, don't give up. Be patient and keep at it. Once it starts to move you are almost there!

As you can tell, a LOT of us need to dissassemble pens from time to time.

snyiper

I have a piece of hard wood with a hole drilled in it just big enough for the slim tranny I put it in there and punch it out and the wood is tight enough to catch it.

monophoto

I have a piece of hard wood with a hole drilled in it just big enough for the slim tranny I put it in there and punch it out and the wood is tight enough to catch it.

Expanding on this thought - drill a 7mm hole in a block of hardwood. Then, make a saw cut about half-way through the block that is exactly on axis with the hole.

To use, stick the transmission through two 1/4" washers and into the hole. With the transmission and pen barrel pointing upward, gently clamp the block of wood in a bench vise such that closing the vice squeezes the block and causes the saw kerf to clamp down on the transmission. Then, insert two flat blade screwdrivers into the gap between the washers. Twisting the screwdrivers will force the washers apart, and that will push the transmission out of the barrel of the pen.

My experience is that this is a great test of the quality of slim kits. It works great on good kits. On cheap kits, the transmission often comes apart.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What would work better?

Sharp blows with the hammer or a screw action, like a vice closing-----with the tranny in a hole.

snyiper

What would work better?

Sharp blows with the hammer or a screw action, like a vice closing-----with the tranny in a hole.

I guess it all depends on what the definition of Better is. If a bad tranny the hammer method if you want to save the trans then the vice method

hilltopper46

snyiper said:
I guess it all depends on what the definition of Better is. If a bad tranny the hammer method if you want to save the trans then the vice method

If you go back up the thread, I think the original thought was to use a hammer and transfer punch to remove the nib, then to press out the transmission ....

fernhills

I found the best solution is to have on hand a supply of slim trans. To often you go through all that and the trans does not work anymore. If it comes out OK, then i use it, if not i just reach for another and be happy i got it out. Carl

Top Bottom