removing transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

There is a disassembly tool available for both the 7mm and 10mm pens. Since you mentioned transmission I will assume you are asking about the 7mm kits. First the nib must be removed. This is done by removing the refill and inserting a small diameter punch through the transmission and knocking out the nib. Once the nib is removed then a larger diameter punch (small enough to just slip inside the tube) is inserted through the nib end and the transmission can be knocked out. Holding the pen barrel is often the most difficult part. A sheet of leather, rubber or the router mat material can be used to hold onto the pen barrel. Or, a hole just large enough for the transmission can be drilled into a hardwood scrap block, the transmission slipped inside the hole and the punch used to knock out the transmission. The pen barrel will rest on the wood. I use a metal washer between the pen barrel and the block.

I would recommend you purchase a set of transfer punches like the set sold by Harbor Freight. Every size I have needed for pen disassembly has been in that set.

Harbor Freight Punch set: (Item # 3577)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by egerm

what is the best way to take out a bad transmission without damaging the tube or blank?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cross tranny is best removed by using HF punches - knock off nib, by inserting punch through hole in tranny, normally occupied by the refill.

When you hold the pen, make sure you are wearing no jewelry - it can pinch your fingers and smart!!

Then, once the nib is off, put larger punch (quarter-inchish) through and knock out tranny.

Test the one you are going to use as replacement, BEFORE inserting. Then, replace!!!

edit, Don posted while I was writing - interruptions made this a long writing process.

thewishman

You can also wrap a rubber band around the barrel for a better grip.

Chris

Oh, and knock the parts into an area where they are easy to locate again - my friend had a bad experience once</u>.

kirkfranks

Originally posted by thewishman

You can also wrap a rubber band around the barrel for a better grip.

Similar-- I use a rubber balloon (not inflated). Since I have two young kids it is always easier to find a balloon than a rubber band...

With the 7mm kit a 1/8" rod (available at hardware and hobby stores) can remove the nib and a 1/4" bolt can then be used to knock out the tranny. I keep a block with a hole larger than 1/4" to rest the blank on as I tap out the tranny.

Larry

I don't know who figured out the HF punches for disassembly, but some of best advice I've gotten off this forum... I got a set a couple of months back and they do work great.. thanks to whom ever figured this out.

jdarragh

On removing the transmission, after you knock out the nib, I take a hardwood scrap (longer than the length of the transmission) with a 1/4" hole drilled all the way through and slide it over the part of the tranny that sticks out. You can then insert the proper diameter punch or rod (slightly less then 1/4") and insert it into the nib end up to the tranny. Instead of knocking it out and risk damaging the tube, you can use a clamp or assembly press to press the transmission into the scrap hardwood scrap. It comes out as easy as it went in. I plan to buy the punch set the next time I order from HF. Up until now, I have just used bolts or metal rods of various diameters

toolcrazy

I've done this a few time. The HF transfer punch set is a god send. I've used it many time for all kinds of pen kits. I'd be lost without it. I have another 7mm slim I gotta do, the tranny split the wood and I need to fix the crack.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
Another vote for H.F punches and I use a "Rubber type of shelf liner " to hold the blank.

sam

I use the disassembly kit from Woodcraft. I was having a hard time holding onto the pen with my arthritus. I took a large Tylenol bottle cut a 3/4" hole in the lid, glued the lid under one of the holes in my woodworking table,& screwed on the bottle. I then lay down a flat washer between the end of the pen & table, give a gentle tap then retrive the transmission from the bottle.

Top Bottom