Removing a pen clip from the tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mordi

I recently completed my first two acrylic pens using a Mesa/Sienna style kit (Single barrel - 27/64"). Both pens came out looking great, but one of the pens is noticably wider than the other. I would like them both to be the same size - so I will need to dissasemble the pen and put it back on the lathe.

How do I remove the clip from the tube without damaging the pen. Do I insert something into the tube and try to push it out :confused:

Thanks,
Mordi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I cut long bolts. So far I have been able to find perfect fits laying around the shop.

Hammer in one hand punch in the tube tube in the other hand.

nava1uni

A set of transfer punches will save you from looking for the correct bolt and you will be able to use them for so many things in your shop, as well as, disassembling any pen that you might want to make.

Mordi

Using a transfer punch, I was able to successfully knock out the cap and clip assembly. However, there remains a portion of the lower cap (brass portion) that remains firmly attached to the tube.

Do I just need to switch to using a bigger transfer punch and give it a good whack? Maybe a punch that is wide that when placed inside the tube, it will catch the edges of the remaining brass portion of the cap and force it out if I hit it firmly :confused:

Thanks,
Mordi

Mordi

The good news - I got it out with a mallet and a dowel.

The bad news - it dropped on the floor and shattered into 3 small pieces :mad:

Should still be usable - I hope

Mordi

Top Bottom