Removing Nib and Transimision ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fleabit

Use a 1/8" rod to go through the transmission to knock out the nib. Next, take a 1/4" rod and come in from the nib side and GENTLY knock out the transmission. Some folks here also use old drill bits (they tap against the cutting tip) to knock em out too.

JimGo

Rick hit the nail on the head, so to speak. Only thing I'll add is that HF sells transfer punches for under $10 that are in 1/64th increments. Lou (DCBluesMan) was kind enough to let me borrow his HF transfer punches recently, and in about 20 minutes I had disassembled three cigars and two slimlines. Just beware...the pen parts will FLY when they finally come free!

patsfan

HF transfer punches (Thanks Eagle)

Grab the pen with one of those rubber jar opener things or a nitrile glove. Put the punch through and whack it to get end clip and nib off.

Then chuck the punch in the lathe (or DP) Put a drilled blank over the transmission and press it out.

Doesn't get much easier or cheaper.

Mike

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I realize you already have your answer,but for the heck of it I ran a search on "dissassembly" and came up with a few hits.
Her's one
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1382&SearchTerms=dissassembly.
The search function on this site work better for me than most sites I have been to.
I don't know why that is the case but it is.
One more thing.
I learned through a bad experience to remove any jewelery from the "gripping" hand prior to "operation"
The satifying sense of success in taking your first pen apart is quickly overshadowed by seeing the components dented by a wedding ring.[xx(]

One more tip.
When trying to dissassemble a pen with a longer bottom tube(Euro style) you may find that you have to continue pressing the transmission in thill the distance is short enough for the punch to reach the nib.

Originally posted by cteaglesc
I learned through a bad experience to remove any jewelery from the "gripping" hand prior to "operation"
The satifying sense of success in taking your first pen apart is quickly overshadowed by seeing the components dented by a wedding ring.[xx(]

Good Advice, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom