Removing a glued in tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DKF

Has anyone had any success at removing a tube that has been glued in with CA? I would like to save a closed end lucite in which the tubes/blank need to be painted. Thanks for any and all advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

With wood, you can use a small srynge and needle filled with acetone and inject the acetone at the point where wood and brass meet (An insulin needle will almost get between the wood and the tube). Then apply a little heat with "Butch's hairdryer" and use that insertion tool you bought on day one to "wiggle" the tube back and forth. When the tube begins to move, take hemostats and pull the tube up.

It took me a while to do this, but I did save the balnk. I AM NOT SURE I WOULD EVER TRY THIS TECHNIQUE ON PR OR ACRYLIC. Acetone doesn't like those materials very much.

Oh yeah, rubber vise jaws or a cloth wrapped around the blanks reduces this to a "two-handed task" instead of a three handed task.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Perhaps with lucite, you could substitute DNA for the acetone? It is a little more plastic friendly.

Good luck, it's not an easy task with a closed ender.

patsikes

I had to do this the other day. I mounted the blank in my centering vise and used the drill press with a junk same size drill bit. Just be slow. Usually it will grab the tube and break the glue bond when it first starts out.

I wear a face shield when I do this since it is a little on the dangerous side.

PenMan1

I had to do this the other day. I mounted the blank in my centering vise and used the drill press with a junk same size drill bit. Just be slow. Usually it will grab the tube and break the glue bond when it first starts out.

Great tip, Pat! I am assuming you are using a variable speed drill (not a drill press) so that you can gradually build up speed?

jskeen

If I was going to do this, I would be afraid that the blank would fracture at the end where it is thinnest. If I REALLY REALLY wanted to save the blank, Bad enough to refinish it, I would use Eagles old trick, and wrap it in several layers of cotton gauze, then soak it with CA to reinforce the blank. Then, if it worked, turn the gauze back off and repolish.

ldb2000

I would use a pencil type soldering and gently heat the tube from the inside , don't let it touch , just hold it centered and it will heat the tube which will soften the CA enough that you will be able to use a big screwdriver to spin the tube and break the glue loose enough to pull the tube from the blank . It will take a little time and some effort but it does work , BTDT .

kirkfranks

try running a punch closest to the inside of the tube with a drill. The friction will create the heat to make the CA let go.
I have had this even work with epoxy.

DKF

That is how I ended up doing it and it worked perfectly! Thanks.

MatthewZS

I was able to remove a tube by applying a combination of all the techniques listed here in careful succession, followed lastly by smashing the blank/tube with a hammer!! Tube came right out!

:)

patsikes

Glad that worked Don.

Yes...sorry for the delay in getting back...use a hand drill and start slowly.

I have only done it a couple times jskeen and I have not had any blank cracks yet...not saying it could not happen. I just figure it is a loss anyway so if it works great....

Interesting tip on the gauze to reinforce the blank...I had never thought of that... I wonder if doing a "string wrap" like they do for fishing poles would work as well. Tightly wrapped in string and then taped down.

Patrick

Padre

I was able to remove a tube by applying a combination of all the techniques listed here in careful succession, followed lastly by smashing the blank/tube with a hammer!! Tube came right out!

:)
Now THAT'S funny! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom