Removing center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So about a week ago I posted a picture of the Classic RB I made with wenge. I am noticing LOTS of white lines in the grains of the wood under the top layer of the finish. I need to go back sand it down and redo my finish. I know how I messed it up. The pen seems pretty straight forward to take apart. The only item I am wondering about is the center band from the cap. I did not have to glue on the band to the brass tube, it went on snug. My thought was to use my needle nose pliers with a rag or cloth towel between the pliers and band and try working it back and forth not squeezing too hard with the pliers at the top of the band. Is that the best way for me to disassemble that part? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
been there done that. Pliers will ruin it, at least they always do when I try to get things off that way. Does that traditional have a tenon? I can't remember. If it does, I'll defer to the more expert people than me on this site. haha If you can, come in from the other end and knock it out. Maybe I'm misreading what you want to do. Jim

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If the band went on without too much pressure then I would wrap several layers of electrical insulation tape over it and then grip it with pliers to twist it off. I bought a dirt cheap pair of pliers and filed the v points from the round parts and it works well for me.
Alternately, use a normal pair of pliers but use a leather belt between the part and the pliers.

ldb2000

I use a piece of 1/2" rubber heater hose and a pair of pliers to remove the front sections from vintage fountain pens . That should work here too , just don't let the pliers dig through the hose or you will scratch the plating .

ToddMR

Yeah it went on the brass tube tenon without too much pressure if I remember right. I have a belt I can try and see if that works. Thanks for the help guys!

Good ideas as normal. I think before I try any of it I will wrap with electrical tape.

ToddMR

I decided to use one of my disassembly punch set. I used the rod the fit closest to the sides of the cap band and wiggled it back and forth and it came right off. Thanks everyone for the help! The CA finish looked SO much better this time, although some areas not as good. lol. Not good enough for me to want to post lol. My good enough as my daily driver. Getting closer and closer to a CA method for myself I think.

ToddMR

So I thought more about it and decided to post a picture of me reworked CA finish. There is a little part on the very bottom end where its messed up some, but a HUGE improvement from what I had imo. I did 5 coats medium CA and did sanding with 400 & 600 grits between coats and then wiped down with DNA. I then did MM all the way up making sure to spend little time. The result overall was a nice deep finish and I could feel the difference. I had to use thin CA to glue in the tip coupler as it expanded the brass from when I tapped it out. Not bad for my daily carry. There is reflection so it looks like a goldish line on the body of the pen.

145606-438x.jpg
145607-438x.jpg

Top Bottom