Removing CA from finshed Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timberview4

I made a Euro out of Acrylic tonight and when I glued the center ring onto the tenon, I must have got a bit of the CA on the OD of the center ring and the lower part of the upper tube. Didn't notice it until fully assembled. :frown:

Any suggestions on how to get the CA smudges off without damaging the chrome plated ring or the acrylic?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are you sure you didn't take the "shine" off in that spot?

I always do.

Don't have a good answer, just have NOT been successful in keeping the shine, no matter what. (Except re-buffing, after taping off fittings).

jkeithrussell

In my experience (and I've made this mistake a lot), the CA damages the plating no matter what you do to correct it. Use acetone or debonder, but the finish will come off if the CA is on the blank, and the plating will be screwed up if it's on the hardware. Sometimes you can move the clip to cover it up, but sometimes it is just screwed up. I stopped using CA for this reason (after repeating the same mistake many, many times), and now use 5 minute epoxy. The epoxy at least gives you a few minutes to make sure there are no goofs and it wipes right off the hardware.

With Euros, I do this constantly because you have to hold the centerband with your fingers to make sure that the pressure is being applied to seat the band squarely on the tenon. If you have any excess glue, it goes right onto your fingers and the hardware/blank.

MobilMan

I guess we all do that sooner or later on the Euro. I let mine sit a few days then it chiped off with my fingernail with no side effect. To help eliminate it from now on--epoxy or CA-- get the tenon turned & shoulder 90 deg to the tenon, then use a skew or a parting tool held sideways & make a recess "V" at the base of the tenon. It doesn't take but a dab of CA to hold the center band on, but if the dab is too big, the excess will flow down in the small recess & not come out between the band/blank. Works for me.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am not sure I understand the problem but here is my experience with CA and screw ups...

I accidentally spilled some CA on some parts in a Sierra kit. Unfortunatly I did not see it until the next day when it was dry. I had nothign to loose so I put the whole piece (clip piece) into a cup with acetone and let it sit. The next day I wiped it all down and the CA was gone and the finish was not damaged at all. I do not make Euros so not sure what your part is like but if it is chrome, I have not found acetone to damage the plating at all.

Top Bottom