Remove slimline tranny to refinish? Pshaw...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamag8or

So, couldn't get the tranny out of a slimline... common problem, right? My good ole American ingenuity kicked in, and I came up with this:

306624_189214827870303_979082566_n.jpg

I wrapped tape around the tranny, to protect from scratches (and rogue CA), and mounted it in my mandrel collet. Drew the live center up into the tube, and voila! TBC style!

Now, I have a prettier pen than I started with, and it goes on my Etsy site after breakfast... I feel I deserve some bacon for this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

You could also use 'transfer punches' to knock out the tranny and then remount after you complete the finish. Just offering another alternative.

Hope that you enjoy your bacon.:)

azamiryou

If for some reason you do need to remove the tranny (e.g., it's busted and you want to replace it), use the collet chuck to do it. First, slip a washer over the tranny. Then grip the tranny in the collet. Slip a pair of screwdrivers between the collet and the washer and lever the barrel away from the tranny.

Note that the transmission has several dimples that stick out around it. These are important for being able to grip the brass tube in the upper barrel. If you tighten the collet too much, you can flatten those out, then your upper barrel won't grip the transmission tightly. DAMHIKT. The tape will help protect it, and for what you're doing, you don't need to tighten the collet very much, so probably not an issue.

panamag8or

If for some reason you do need to remove the tranny (e.g., it's busted and you want to replace it), use the collet chuck to do it. First, slip a washer over the tranny. Then grip the tranny in the collet. Slip a pair of screwdrivers between the collet and the washer and lever the barrel away from the tranny.

Note that the transmission has several dimples that stick out around it. These are important for being able to grip the brass tube in the upper barrel. If you tighten the collet too much, you can flatten those out, then your upper barrel won't grip the transmission tightly. DAMHIKT. The tape will help protect it, and for what you're doing, you don't need to tighten the collet very much, so probably not an issue.

Yeah, I didn't tighten the collet too much, I didn't want to smoosh anything. I ended up refinishing 3 slims that way today, even gave one a stylus tip on the cap. They look so much nicer, now that I've discovered micro-mesh. :redface:

toddlajoie

I've removed them by first knocking out the nib, then drilling a 7mm hole in a scrap of board, insert the tranny in the hole, put the punch down the tube and se either a hammer or clamp to take it out.

I like the idea of not having to remove it for refinishing it tho.... Just doubt I could keep the CA from getting in there...

Top Bottom