Reflections on repairing pens old and new... or your "grandfather's axe"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

Ever notice how repairing a mistake on a new pen, or fixing wear and tear on an old pen takes more time than just making a new one?

I've just completed 19 of the 25 pen kits I ordered last month. In that time I've learned to apply a passable CA glue finish, and I've managed to mess up at least five of the pens in some way or another. I've cocked a nib or cap when assembling- bending the tube bad enough to have to cut it off, blown out the blank several times when milling it square, messed up the CA finish umpteen zillion times, mismatched blanks, or swapped ends on matching blanks, disasembled and re-assembled after using faulty parts, and glued my fingers to all kinds of crap... And I don't know what all else... It seems to take twice as long to fix the mistake as it does to turn another and put the finish on it.

But here's a special story about repairing an old pen...

A coupla years back I found this forum, and started by turning the classic "Walmart Pen". Then I went "whole hog" (don't laugh!) and ordered five different "real" kits from Craft Supplies USA. Then I turned a total of two of those kits and the rest have been sitting in my bench ever since.

Evidently a real penturner I'm not....

But one of those pens, a "Presidential", is a "user" that I've had with me since that time, and it's kinda special to me. The first reason it's special is because it was one of my "firsts", and the second reason is that it is soft highly figured Alder wood that has custom accent bands created by CA glue and coffee, which was necessary to hide the tearout on the ends of the blank.... so it was with consternation that I noticed that the transmission failed and wouldn't keep the refill extended. Well I set it aside until I re-ordered a replacement. It sat until this last order came in, and I used up a pen a friend had made me. (It's needing repair right now too, but that's another story.)

Well I went down to Harbor Freight and purchased the transfer punch set to disassemble the pens when I needed to. Then I knocked the cap and the nib off, and then tried to punch the transmission out. It wouldn't come. I tapped harder, and then I proceeded to punch the transmission AND the tube out of the wood sleeve... words were said. So now I realized I must have glued the transmission into the tube. So I drilled a hole just bigger than the transmission in a piece of plate steel and fastened it in the vice. I placed the tube/transmission assembly in to the jig, and then I punched that thing out of the tube. YES!

Then I tried placing the tube inside the wood sleeve. NO go. Aggh. So I used the pen drill on the wood sleeve (very carefully) to clean out all the glue. And then I sanded the tube down until I got a smooth fit into the wood sleeve. Too tired to continue that night, I placed all the parts into the bag until another day, when I'd be sure to assemble it all carefully...

Well the day came last Saturday, and I made sure that tube still fit in the wood sleeve. Then I made the first mistake. I tried to use thin CA glue to assemble the tube. It ran like water all over the blank, and all over my fingers, setting almost instantly. (Bad words were said.) Then I made the second mistake. Instead of stopping right there, and cleaning up the mess, I tried to put medium glue on the tube and get it into to sleeve right away. Instead, it glued itself halfway in the tube. Ripping my fingers off the blank (Ow! Even MORE words were said:mad:), and grabbing the punch and hammer, I tried tapping the tube back out, and only succeeded in gluing the punch into the wood sleeve also. I got it out with a little difficulty then poured acetone down in the tube hoping to soften the glue up enough to get it out...

I tried placing the tube/sleeve abomination into my plate steel hole jig and tapping the tube out, but it was the wrong size hole, and now the punch really was glued into the tube....:frown: I "quickly" drilled the right size hole in the plate steel, fastened it back in the vice and placed the quickly becoming junk, punch/sleeve/tube abomination into the jig and used another transfer punch to get the first punch out. Then I poured more acetone into the tube, and punched the daylights out of the tube to get it out...

And that's when the wood sleeve finally crumbled, and I gave up entirely on saving my original wood pen.:frown:

I turned off the remaining wood, cleaned off both tubes, prepared a couple of Bubinga blanks, glued the tubes in, turned it, put the finish on, and assembled the pen (with a new transmission) in about an hour. I considered changing out the nib and the cap with the TN gold finish....

It was then I began wondering at what point it would no longer be my original pen?

Or... whether it was like the proverbial "grandfather's axe" that has had the handle replaced three times and the head replaced twice...
At what point is it no longer your grandather's axe?:tongue:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Wow, your Saturday was like mine. After finishing the graduation pens, I decided I'd try to repair one of my first pens that the transmission was inserted incorrectly into (too deep). While tapping the wood came free from the tube and cracked! I eventually got the twist out and tried repairing the wood by re-gluing. After several sticky moments and yes bad words.. I finally got everything ready to mount on the lathe and try sanding with CA to fill in the crack. FAIL!! the crack did fill but was more noticeable than ever and some of the glue was still proud of the black and not sanding evenly. So decided to try to trim it down with a skew. It was going great right until the tool caught and tore a chip out all the way down to the barrel!

I chalked it all up as a learning experience. Oh well!

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

ohiococonut

All I can say is thanks for sharing :biggrin:
I've also had my share of those moments being a novice. My first pen I affectionately call CACA for various reasons and it remains unchanged. It took me 5 hours to produce a slimline my first attempt and with ca no less.

I was frustrated to say the least having not turned anything in a lathe for well over 15yrs but I was determined to make a pen. Yep, a Lot of cuss words were said to the ca, blank, wood, lathe. I cussed everything but mostly to myself. I didn't know "super glue" could be used to finish a pen and I certainly didn't realize just how hot it gets when it comes into contact with your finger and a paper towel. I nearly ripped meat off of my finger trying to get the hot paper towel off!:eek: It's been a couple of months so the blisters gone now and most of the skin has regenerated. I bet I used 1oz of ca trying to get a good finish and finally ended up sanding it down to a spotted satin finish. I turned, sanded, glued mutliple times until I ended up with a straight bodied pen that I'd be ashamed to even give away much less use myself. I should add that at least 1/2 hr of that time was spend looking for the pen tip. I had to punch it out for some reason but couldn't hold it in my hand so I got the bright idea :rolleyes: of putting the punch in it and bouncing it on the concrete floor. It came out alright...... and shot across my shop somewhere.
Thinking back now I probably used enough supplies and time to complete at least 15-20 pens. It was my first experience and it was not good :frown:

Any way, Finally being satisfied (just the completion of it) with my butt ugly caca pen I decided that "grandpas old axe" was good in it's time so I'm leaving well enough alone and learned from my experience. I'm sure I'll make many more mistakes and learn from them but for now bad pens, pieces, parts that I think I can salvage go into a drawer in my tool box to hide. It's not quite full, but I'm not done yet :biggrin:

Top Bottom