Refills... in general

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbarton22

I just read another thread on refills. Now, obviously, I am a rookie, but I have to admit that I didn't understand much, if anything, in that thread.

I had previously read a post about using different refills than the kit supplies, so I'm slightly aware that it is a practice.

I can assume that in a $3 slimline kit, the refill probably isn't the best.What I don't really get is when or why replace the refill?

Is there a price point when you think that this price pen deserves a better refill?

Do you do it on every pen? I have to assume you roll the price of the refill into the cost of the pen. Does that make some of the lower tier pens just too expensive? Or, if your practice is to replace them on every pen, you just don't bother making less expensive pens?

Do your customers know or care? Is there a price point where they do know or care?

Are we selling the bodies, the way the ink flows, or the whole experience?

I'm just starting, and I can't afford to create any kind of stock with $30 kits and $30 blanks. I need to start off with a stock of lower priced pens and few big boys. There is a lot to learn, and I don't quite understand the logic on this one.

Any help here would be great. Thanks

scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

for me it has become a personal preference and also says something in the customers mind about the end product that they may be debating on buying. I mean think about it, someone hands you a nice pen(one of any of your pens that you have made) and you still have the cheap refill in it. Chances are, that customer(s) wont remember much about that pen. But you throw in a quality refill that writes smooth( i prefer any private reserve refills) and that customer or whomever they may be, will remember that much better! So whats an extra 2-3 bucks more for the refill, as long as you arent selling them for 10-15 dollars. If that is the case, you might as well keep the cheap ink in them. This is just my opinion

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi Scott!!

There is NOT one universal answer---

BUT--after selling pens at craft shows for more than a decade, I can tell you it is MUCH easier if the first words that your "prospect" utters are "Man, does this write NICE!!" FOR ME, that first happened when I started selling gel refills with my pens (around 2000, I think) to replace the standard Parker style ballpoint.

Then about 2008, I went to the Private Reserve 9000 and again, my sales went up because people liked the way the pen writes.

But, that is only valuable, if you impress it on the customer as a great benefit. So, if you don't care, you probably won't sell it---

Bics sell themselves, hand-made writing instruments don't (very often).

So, that's why you see many of us talking about replacement refills.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

seamus7227

Nice. Do they sell them a local type of place....staples, office max, etc....that I can find them. I would like to experiment myself so I can sell from experience.

you could probably find some, but not at the prices that our Vendors(IAP MEMBERS) can usually sell them for. IMHO

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Nice. Do they sell them a local type of place....staples, office max, etc....that I can find them. I would like to experiment myself so I can sell from experience.

You SHOULD go to an office supply store and buy a couple of each. This will also teach you which refills don't fit--so you can answer your customers' questions accurately. When we did shows, I did this about once every 2 years--just so the customer couldn't throw you a completely "unheard of" question.

seamus7227

+1 what Ed said! I personally think though, that the private reserve cross style ink refills write considerably better than even the Cross brand refills do.

Scott,
I find that it is easier to sell a pen with a good refill because if someone tries your pen and it doesn't write you have lost half the battle and possibly the sale. I know a guy who won't even try one of my pens because he likes Zebra pens because of the way they write. If you tell the average person it has an upgraded refill they won't know what you are talking about. They will notice that it writes smooth. If they don't notice right away they will notice when they go back to using a cheap pen.
If you are new to selling you will find that some people won't pay anything for a pen no matter what. As far as they are concerned it's just a fancy Bic. Others will see that it is more than just a pen and they want a pen with quality and classy and they are willing to pay. When I started selling I was scared to ask more than $15 for a slimline, I sent the same batch to a friend and he sold that same batch of slimlines for $30 - $40 each and they sold fast. Don't under value your work.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The operative words in all this are:

HE SOLD

Handmade pens don't sell themselves. You need to find the way that YOU can sell them. Whatever that might be.

sbarton22

Scott,
. When I started selling I was scared to ask more than $15 for a slimline, I sent the same batch to a friend and he sold that same batch of slimlines for $30 - $40 each and they sold fast. Don't under value your work.

Good advice. I learned that on sale #1. I was just showing my friend my pens and was talking about teaming up on a craft show, and some woman interrupted us and bought one of my slimlines right here. She didn't flinch at $35. Exactly 20 seconds before that, I was afraid to price them for any more than $20, even though the math on the ROI didn't make sense @ $20.

So, you guys have me talked into it. I'll start some testing and research and look into some upgrades.

Top Bottom