Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

The Private Reserve Cross type refills make a BIG difference in the ballpoint pens. The PRs have more ink and a better ball than the stock "kit" refills. I exchange the stock refill with the PR on every pen I make. It sure helps to sell pens.

FWIW, even the gunuine Cross refills are now made in China. The PR refills are made by Schmidt in Germany. If it has moving parts, you want German engineering.

Also, I have not had a great deal of luck with ANY broad tip BP refill. IMHO, the medium is the tip of choice in Cross refills. The Fine points are OK, but write a little "scratchy".

Last edited:

dhallnc

Thanks Andy. I ordered some of the kits you recommended, they just arrived. I'll order some of the refills and see how it works out.

The Private Reserve Cross type refills make a BIG difference in the ballpoint pens. The PRs have more ink and a better ball than the stock "kit" refills. I exchange the stock refill with the PR on every pen I make. It sure helps to sell pens.

FWIW, even the gunuine Cross refills are now made in China. The PR refills are made by Schmidt in Germany. If it has moving parts, you want German engineering.

Also, I have not had a great deal of luck with ANY broad tip BP refill. IMHO, the medium is the tip of choice in Cross refills. The Fine points are OK, but write a little "scratchy".

LeeR

I was about to post a question to ask if there were any good aftermarket Cross refills, and found this thread with a search.

I have been mostly turning pens with Parker-refills, and really like the gel ink refills I've tried (no-name from Craft Supplies). I have not tried the Private Reserve brand of refill, but will try some in both Cross and Parker styles.

Glad to hear I have some options. My favorite 7mm "slimline" is the flat-top Streamline pen from Lee Valley. I like the wider, banded center band, and I prefer the shape of its clip.

Maybe off topic, but does anyone know if the Roadster from Craft Supplies is the same pen? I've not tried the Apprentice line, being somewhat suspicious of the really low prices. I am going to order one to check it out, but wonder if the major difference might be the refill, or if in general they are not manufactured to the same standards, or maybe have inferior platings? I've read a bunch of opinions and speculations, and maybe the only way to satisfy my suspicions is to jsut get one and try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom