redwood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Anyone have a pic in there album of a pen made from (redwood)? Does it make for a nice looking pen? I have a few boards and thought I'd cut it up for pen blanks if it makes nice pens, if not then I'll use it for another project. Thanks!

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

It depends on the variety of redwood from what I can tell. I have a pen with a piece of redwood in it in my gallery but the redwood I have is REALLY soft and I am trying to finish building a vacuum chamber to stabilize it for future attempts. I made a slimline from it and everything went fine until the friction finish when the wood expanded and peeled off into my finish rag! At least it was easy to reuse the tubes.

I have heard of others using redwood and hope they chime in.

its_virgil

Redwood is soft like cedar, and looks a lot like cedar. I'm building a house and making all of the subs a pen and the one I made for the roofer was from a piece of redwood molding he used under the metal drip cap on the edge of the roof. It was nothing spectacular, but I've made some pens from stabilized redwood burl that were gorgeous. It depends on what your redwood looks like. There is a picture in my yahoo photo album of a pen from stabilized redwood lace ...first picture I think. Look in http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor

Do a good turn daily!
Don

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, maybe I'll just cut off one piece for a pen and see how it looks before I cut up one of the whole boards. Don, I like the looks of your redwood pen, but I really like the pens you made from ammo brass. I have to learn how to do those, I could make a lot of hunting buddies very happy. [:)] Thanks again guys!

R.T.

chgrjim

I have a little bit of 1000 year old redwood in my stock and I, personally, don't think it's very attractive. (I got it from a 200 year old bridge that was torn down and, it was discovered that the tree to make the bridge was 800 years old at the time.) Other than as a conversation piece it's not very interesting.

JIM

jkirkb94

Here is some redwood that I cut from a bowl turning blank. Kirk [8D]

11414046_redwood%20burl%20with%20malachite%20inlay.jpg
<br />

Efletche

I really like the grain patterns in that pen. Is that plain wood or burl?

jkirkb94

Burl. Like I said it was from a larger blank 6x6x2 that I cut up. So far I have a spalted maple, big leaf maple, ambrosia maple and redwood burl that I have gotten similar sized blanks locally and got excellent blanks for about $1 per blank when cut. [:)]. Got burned once on a 6x6x2 that I ordered (ambrosia maple from CS)that had no figure or burl to it. I plan to cut it up and use for experimenting with turning coves, beads, etc. Kirk [8D]

WoodChucker

Kirk, thats a good looking pen and thanks for posting it. The stuff I have is just plane,not much detail to it at all. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I Will. Figure just to see what it looks like. It was in the trash, it was a couple of old drawers that someone didn't want, so I picked them up and saved them. I also got a solid mahogany dresser, I striped it down and it's some beautiful wood. [:)]

R.T.

Efletche

I just cut up a small oak burl and the figure is gorgeous. Shame I can only get half blanks from it, but I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom