Redo Rhodium hardware to match Antique Pewter?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I can use some help...got myself into a bit of a quandary.

I have a customer who wants a PSI Nouveau Sceptre Fountain Pen with the antique pewter finish. I had this pen as a Rollerball on display, and told him "Sure. I can do that for you." (It is a closed sale...I have his payment.)

QUANDARY:I did not realize that PSI only offers the Antique Pewter finish in the Rollerball configuration until I returned to the 'pen studio' and sought to order the FP variety.

My thought is to try to refinish a Rhodium plated Fountain Pen front end piece to match the Antique Pewter. Hopefully I could gently use 0000 steel wool on the rhodium and then slightly color it with perhaps some black antiquing medium??? I do have a clear brush-on topcoat (The product: Protectra - An EVERBRIGHT Coating) that is good on metals.

So with all the above as background, the essence of my question: Can anyone suggest a way to redo the Rhodium part to get a close match of Antique Pewter on the PSI Rollerball? (I have lots of Rhodium plated hardware parts to experiment on, and believe the Protectra product will be a good topcoat)

Is anyone able to rescue me from my quandary?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Can't imagine that Everbright is close to the toughness of a factory finish. Next call you will get is the finish is wearing off from use. Chris is right, make a phone call and explain that finish is not available. Better to loose a sale than loose your reputation for a bad metal finish.

CREID

After years of sales and technical service, customers can be more forgiving than you think if you just explain the circumstances to them. Maybe he likes the pen style more than the finish and he'll choose another. Just what I would do. Good Luck.
Curt

SteveG

I appreciate the inputs suggesting I not try to do what I want to do, and there is a solid basis to support that course of action. I steadfastly maintain a standard of quality for the pens that I sell, and basically offer an unlimited guarantee on my materials and workmanship. That said, I have confidence in the Protectra product. It works, and is intended for applications just like this. That part of my search for a solution is settled. My quest is achieve the matching appearance. Also, the ultimate destiny for this pen is to sit in a collection/display. The customer, an elderly man, said he does not use the pens, he just enjoys collecting them! His collection numbers in the hundreds. This pen will get to write a few lines, to satisfy that minimal requirement, then go rest in the archival collection. I anticipate future sales, and absolutely would not offer an inferior product. So if I can match the appearance of the antique pewter, that is what I will do. If anyone has suggestion along that line, I am most appreciative to hear from you!

Thanks to all who have and will respond.

SteveG

I am still intent on trying to get a a good appearance match, as I try to rework a fountain pen front end (plated in Rhodium or Black Ti) to match the appearance of the Antique Pewter, since PSI offers only a Rollerball in the Pewter finish. I fully understand the difficulties of producing a durable finish, but have that part of the challenge (the top coat), met with a product that works very well. Is there anyone with insight as to achieving the basic appearance change to yield the look of the Antique Pewter?

(BTW, I DO NOT want to go the route of Brad the Alchemist, but rather a little something out of a jar perhaps??? Something that does not require the level four, double secret space suit apparel that he seems to like!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:)

Ed McDonnell

How about you make your own section from pewter. Or talk to Mike R and see if he would be willing to cast you a custom section in pewter instead of silver.

Anything you do to try and alter the plating really introduces the risk of revealing brass (or whatever is underneath) or otherwise leaving you with a mess.

Alternatively, turn a section from a different material. If the pen is only going to be displayed (probably closed) it won't make a difference. Actually, if it is closed for display no one will know if it is a fountain or a roller.

Ed

SteveG

I have been trying a few different methods to achieve the match I desire to the antique pewter with promising results. Look for photos soon.

And as far as the self described Alchemist...I believe he could do this. I am hoping to achieve my own solution to the challenge. Key to getting there is the Protectra product (to be used as a topcoat). I discovered Protectra when looking for something to use on the copper bangles (Bangleguy product) that would keep the shine and prevent the eventual patina experienced with bare copper.

Thanks to all for suggestions offered!

SteveG

Update on my project to refinish "Front End" part:

I judge the effort a success. (To review; PSI does not offer a FP kit in Antique Pewter for the Nouveau Sceptre, only RB. My customer wanted FP. I said "sure" before realizing PSI does not offer the FP. Hence, the challenge to modify a FP front end to match the Pewter pen selected by the customer)

Pic #1: (Left) reworked front end. Notice the subtle radial lines. Rather than a flaw, these were necessary to match the "factory" antique finish that has these lines. The appearance was achieved by mounting the piece on the lathe and very carefully, at SLOW rpm, abrade the surface of a rhodium plated piece, using 400 then 600 grit. I was careful to not blow thru the plating. This was followed by 3 clear coats of Protectra, an Everbright product. You can also see another mod. I substituted a Schmidt feed/holder and polished nib. The feed holder had to be altered to fit the PSI hardware. (The unmodified Rhodium plated piece on the right is shown for comparison.)

Pic #2: A view of the modified front end mounted to the pen. There are slight appearance differences observable compared to the "factory" finish on the rest of the pen, but these variations are slight. The pics seem to accentuate the differences more than looking at it hand-held. I asked someone to inspect the pen and tell me if he noticed anything odd or off with the pen. Answer:No. My observer could notice minute differences only after I made known the modification. My buyer only knows that I was going to provide the pen to him as a FP instead of RB as it was displayed on the sales table.

I am pleased with the results of the modification. The "antique" nature of the target finish, with intentional slight variations in the surface, is the only reason I even attempted to do this: it is a forgiving finish to copy or match. I trust the topcoat from my prior experience with it. At this point, the customer is happy, and I breathe a sigh of relief and satisfaction. IT WORKED!! :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0005 (1).jpg
    DSC_0005 (1).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom