Red with Yellow pen blanks??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

I have been asked to make a pen for a former United States Marine Sargent and the colors need to be Red and Yellow swirl. Anyone know if these colors are available? I have looked all over the internet but have'nt come up with any luck. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

If you're not opposed to wood, redheart or bloodwood, with Yellowheart would make for a nice combination...Although in order to have swirls you'd have to be pretty good with a scroll saw...Perhaps a nice herringbone pattern with the wood...?

Either way, good luck!

Jeff

scoutharps

What about starting with a herring bone, then somehow making a rocker under it? I'm thinking the stripes on his sleeve. Do they ever have those in red and yellow?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Damn Marines, always causing trouble. If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know and I will mix up a batch for you. Semper Fi

refueler1

Damn Marines, always causing trouble. If you don't find what you are looking for, let me know and I will mix up a batch for you. Semper Fi

Thanks for everyones replies. The only thing is, I need to have one made by Tuesday. I was hoping Woodcraft or Rockler sold them since they are in my area, but I suppose not. My wife wanted me to make one for her boss for "Bosses Day". Guess she should have said something last week,,,,Maybe she did and I FORGOT what she said,,,,,as usual!

hewunch

Cozee makes some really awesome stuff too. He calls them fire blanks but they are spot on b/c he is a former marine (is anyone really a former marine?).

BTW Greg is in Illinois, so he could probably get you something quick if you got up with him. And Jeff in Indiana is right there too.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Cozee makes some really awesome stuff too. He calls them fire blanks but they are spot on b/c he is a former marine (is anyone really a former marine?).
quote]
There are a lot of Marines on this site it seems, I just retired after 25 years, and my brother pulled 20 years. There are a few ex-Marines, but once a Marine, always a Marine.
I just found this one sitting on a bench, it is dyed loofah and Alumilite.

Attachments

• REDAND GOLD.jpg
    REDAND GOLD.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

Swirling pen blank

I just finished a couple of Swirling Pens I made from a tutorial on this site. The one pictured is made of leopardwood and yellowheart. Kinda looks like red and yellow? :confused: But of course you could choose your colors, of which you should be able to find some in the stores you mentioned. I got the tutorial from this IAP site but if you need it I have it on my laptop and could send it to you.
Here is what one of my pens looks like. They don't take very long to make, depending on what type of glue you use.

DCP_0726.jpg

Hope this helps some. :)

andyk

Here are a couple that I turned with blanks from cozee. They turn well and are a quality blank.

Attachments

• Fire Blanks 1.jpg
    Fire Blanks 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Fire Blanks 2.jpg
    Fire Blanks 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom