Red and white stripe blank issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

Any advice for a vendor for red and white stripe blank that is easy to turn. Two blanks in a row turned poorly and that is usually not the case. Sharp, fresh carbide and care still resulted in serious chipping. To get a pen completed I resorted to sanding, yes I will stand in the corner. The blue and white stars blank turned easily and smoothly. I bought the blank from either WoodTurningz or Penn state a long time ago.

It appears like all vendors sell the same blank.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As far as I know, there is only one place that makes that blank. Some of them are great, some...........not so much.

OZturner

You can come out of the corner, Mark.

Sanding is a means of obtaining a Smooth Removal and Finish, as such the Concept of "What Ever It Takes" does apply.

I am not a Carbide Turner, I like the Skew, as it presents a "Cutting" edge, at an angle, to SLICE material from the Blank. Where as a Cutter be it Carbide or HSS presented along the axis, of the object, is really a scraper, and depending on the nature of the Material, it can either shave it off, or it can chip it off.
Have you tried using a Sharp Skew on this material?
Regards,
Brian.

mmayo

I think the term sharpening challenged was coined for me, but I plan to try MagicBob's carbide skew. A real skew is coming too.

Good news the one I sanded will be in on sale tomorrow and looks like it will not gather dust.

Last edited:

MTViper

I've never been a skew guy. Ii know how to use it, just don't like it as well as other tools - personal preference. I went through carbide tools on acrylics and didn't like the results. I finally got a 3/4" SRG from PSI to use on acrylic pens and it's wonderful. I keep it very sharp and use it just like I do it's bigger cousin on wood. Gives me a nice smooth finish, usually to completion.

Sandpaper is a tool, if you need it, use it and don't stand in the corner.

jttheclockman

I've never been a skew guy. Ii know how to use it, just don't like it as well as other tools - personal preference. I went through carbide tools on acrylics and didn't like the results. I finally got a 3/4" SRG from PSI to use on acrylic pens and it's wonderful. I keep it very sharp and use it just like I do it's bigger cousin on wood. Gives me a nice smooth finish, usually to completion.

???????????

MTViper

???????????

That's a 3/4" Spindle Roughing Gouge (SRG), the little brother to the one I use on my wood pens. I got a Benjamin's Best and have been totally happy with it, sharpens easily and holds an edge nicely. And it was on sale when I bought it.

mmayo

I just turned 8 two tube acrylic acetate pen blanks and 6 wood Sierra blanks including ebony without issue with a 2" radius carbide tool.

The red and white material acts like I inlace acrylester, which I dislike. I have made pens with it, but it is somewhat unfriendly.

Top Bottom