Red Sycamore???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I was wondering aimlessly through a scrap log dump (story of my life) and couldn't find anything worth bringing home (i know, i know...) so just to get my chainsaw running ( a new stihl) i decided to cut into a cool log just to see how it cut, when to my amazement, the chainsaw started spewing out red shavings! i cut me a couple slabs and though it might be able to make some awesome things out of it so i have 3 or 4 foot square slabs hanging out in my back yard now. so here are my questions... 1. Is sycamore a regularly occuring wood elsewhere cause i sure haven't seen many trees that look like some guy spray painted the tree camo... 2. is it normal for sycamore to be red??? and 3. Will this red color last? I know things like aromatic cedar looses some of its color over time so I'm just wondering if is worth making a pen out of...

5.jpg6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Never seen sycamore that color, but I'm no arborist. It doesn't look like it's got much going for it other than the color, so I probably would pass on it for pens... bowls or platters might be interesting. Most domestic woods turn brown over time, so I think it's unlikely to stay pink/red forever.

pensbydesign

Never seen sycamore that color, the pear tree in my back yard has a deep dark red color
because it was planted where bricks from a old building was used for back fill.

low_48

Could it be myrtle? Just seen pics, never seen the wood up close. Sycamore around here has cream colored sap, and a slight orange colored heart.

ersRFP

I just milled up 2 large Sycamores. Both had the pink hearts. From what I've seen in the past, the pink will fade out. Sycamore should make some pretty pens. You should get some nice rays on 2 sides of the pens and 2 sides will be fairly plain.

Longfellow

Here are Sycamore blanks that have been quarter sawn- After cutting them I put them in a bucket inside a bigger bucket with about an inch of clear ammonia. Close the lid and leave it for day or so. The ammonia fumes slow down the fading considerably

Attachments

• IMG_2836 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2836 (Small).JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 93

arkie

Sycamore is most commonly found around water. It was all over the place in NW Arkansas. I hardly see any in Milwaukee. Quartersawn, it has large lacy flecks like lacewood. Plane sawed, it is unremarkable.

The QS grain can make a spectacular door panel insert, jewelry box lid, or turned platter. I've turned a few bowls as well, but it looks better flat. I'm unlikely to use it for pens.

Top Bottom