Red Palm???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

OK you 'red palm' blank turners...

Is it just me, or is red palm difficult to drill... with a 33/64" bit? Yeah, I know it is a big bit, and I was drilling very slowly, very carefully... but it cracked right in half, the length of the blank, when I got to the end... boo hoo for me...

Maybe I picked the wrong wood for a Churchill?

Now, don't let my proclivity for blowing out blanks influence your response, and no darts from the NoVa Peanut Gallery :D:D[:eek:)]
(Yeah, like that's going to keep them off' me! ;))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I had the same problems when drilling difficult materials, especially palm and Inlace Acrylester. I found the blank would crack as the drill bit exited the bottom of the blank. Now I use a method I hear about from Rich Kleinhenz and I haven't had a failure when drilling since. I cut the blank about 1/4" long and then drill almost all the way through, but not out the other end. Then you trim at the saw of your choice to get a blank drilled through without cracks. I also keep the thin little strips I trim off to use as accents or oops bands.

ilikewood

Jason is correct here. The breakage usually happens at the last 1/4" before the drill bit exits. The method he described is your best bet.

Palm is pretty tough to turn, but the results are worth it.

heineda

Hello,

I too had the same problem. Red Palm is barely held together bunch of fibers, and if you can drill it, it will almost certainly explode while turning. How to fix? Drill a small hole using the method Jason described, then soak them for 2 or 3 days in a mixture of 1/2 water, and 1/2 yellow wood glue. This will stabilize the blamk, and allow you to work with it.

Good Luck,
Dan

JimGo

Huh, I didn't know you made pens! Next time try drilling at least one pilot hole first. Jason's technique works, too.

mdburn_em

Having blown up MORE than my share of blanks, I remedied the situation by purchasing one of Pauls vises. I think I got a no-blank-blow-up warranty with that, didn't I? [}:)] Ok, so maybe not, but I believe it will help. It appears that as the bit exits the wood the larger flute(?) grabs the wood and yanks it up the shaft. When it does this, a large object is going through a smaller hole and something has to give. That's going to be the wood. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)
If you completely immobilize the wood blank so it can't jerk up, you'll probably be ok. Or you can just cut the last 1/4" off. [;)]

MDWine

Thanks everyone, for your replies... even Jim! [;)]

I tried to glue the blank back together with CA, just to turn it and see how it would go, but both blanks blew up. So, I turned it down to the tubes and will start again. I've already drilled the blanks using the "leave some wood at the bottom" method. Now I'm struggling with making adapters for the barrel trimmer. These are some HUGE tubes! Geesh!

Yes Jim, I do make pens ... sometimes... I'm just... uh... meticulous! YEAH! That's the ticket!! [:D]
((...and thanks Ken!! Jim, I acutally cut,drilled,glued,turned AND finished a keychain kit last weekend! WooHoo!!))
I wouldn't mind those blow-ups too much Steve, except that they are frequently LOUD! ... scarey!

alamocdc

Michael, with Palm I always stabilize. Even if it means stabilizing with CA as I go, but prestabilization tends to work much better. I've had good luck w/plexi/acetone, but recently sent some to River Ridge. I haven't had a chance to turn them yet, but it looks promising. Oh, and the drilling long and then trimming method works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom