Red Oak Crossed with Corn Cobb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jashton

I got the idea today of stacking a piece of Red Oak with a stabilixed Corn Cobb. I cross cut them, then reverse glued. I turned the pieces and believe it or not turned out well.

At about 3000 grit micro mesh I used a blue sharpie marker to stain.

I was suprised at the outcome. Has anyone done anything, like this if so .....do you have any hints.

Feed back is welcome and wanted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jashton

Image Insert:
200831931941_cobb.jpg

jashton

I am a new member and having trouble with downloading pics to the site that will fit. Any help would be great.

The one I got to fit is to small to even see.

karlkuehn

Banned
Very interesting, Joe!

I use Prismacolor art markers all the time to dye my blanks on the lathe, although I do it after I've sanded all the way through MM12K and before the CA/BLO. It helps to give them a little DNA rub with a soaked paper towel to help the coloring sink in after you've rubbed it on.

As for the pic size, there's a limit on how big a file you can upload. I use my own server and just post reference photos inline, so I'm not much help there.

Hello

a little erie.....on my way to work this morning I was thinking about making those celtic knots....what I might do to beging practicing the necessary cuts. A passing thought had run through my head of laminating a couple of angled sripes of ebony into a stabilized corn cob...then I get to work and check IAP to find that you've done something similar! very creepy!
here's my $0.02 on the pen....I like the idea, and I dig that you tried it, but I don't really like the result in this particular case. maybe dying the cob red to sorta' go with the red oak would work?

Rmartin

You're probably having a problem with the resolution of your pic rather than the size. A large "optimized" pic will go through when a small hi-resolution pic won't.

Top Bottom