Red Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
A neighbor of mine was drinking a bit too much and decided that some red oak trees had to go. The next day when he sobered up, he decided to make the best of it, and cut and split it.

It took him about a week, but he now has about 10 cords of wood.

Most of it looks rather dull, but some pieces are highly figured. Is it worthwhile grabbing a few logs, cutting them into blanks and turning them after they have had some time to dry?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Narwhale

Beautiful grain does not care from what tree it came from.
Go get the best pieces, rip them into boards about 1" thick on your tablesaw or bandsaw and paint the ends with something.
Throw them in a forgotten corner somewhere not to hot, and find them again in 4 or 5 months.
Should turn out very pretty.
Rich s.

bob winegar

I think red oak makes an attractive pen and have turned several. The rays do have a tendency to get "pulled out" as you turn, though. For that reason, I always make a point of getting some thin CA on the blanks when I am almost through turning. I think it is the presence of the rays that makes red oak attractive.

Bob

fstepanski

Figured/curly Red Oak is pretty and not common, ergo I would go for it.. If you can 1/4 saw blanks into 1" squares as Narwhale suggested even better.. Price is right!! Shoot if it was in the NOVA area I'd offer to help [:D]

Hosspen

I agree with all the above. The price is right and try to get some of the most figured since by the time it gets cut down to a turned pen blank there isn't a lot of wood left to show the grain. You could use the microwave to dry some and see how it's going to work for you before spending a lot of time & effort waiting and storing a bunch. If it doesn't trip your trigger, it's still a good burning wood. Let us know how it goes.

KP

Although I am not a fan of red oak flatsawn, some pieces of curly or crotch red oak can be spectacular. One of my favorite pen set was a piece of funky red oak I pulled out of the firewood pile. Link to inadequate pic below, but in person it has an incredible 3-D appearance.

Ken

http://members.cox.net/kplatt6/index/page22.htm

fstepanski

Oh yeah one other point. If your sawing wet red oak have some WD-40 on standby. The tannin reacts with metal, you can almost watch the rust grow..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom