Red Jasper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

I have been using Red Jasper for 6 + years with not issues in the past.

I started have real issues with Red Jasper true stone. This is one of the most forgiving blanks to us until recently. I have now destroyed 20 of these blanks. I first started in 3 of four cracks in the barrels after assembly. Double checked the end of the blanks being square, made sure no excess glue in the glue. Bevel the end of the tubes. But still cracked.

Then came the real nightmare. After assembly of 4 to them all was great. Next morning spider cracks though out the whole blank down to the tube. My main component set is my celtic pen style but tried other styles as well with the same result.

I have contact the makers of True Stone and set them samples of what is going on. I am working on an alternative until Red Jasper can be fixed.

I also brought the blanks from different sources to rule out a bad batch. All though this could be coming from a batch or batches.

No a rant just wanted everyone to work with product to be aware. I am sure this can be correct or at least let me know what I am do wrong?

Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Any pictures so we can see the exact issue? Tru stone is tough to work, but many here do it on a regular basis successfully. If you had a pic of what's going on perhaps someone could offer a solution?

Last edited:

JohnGreco

Is it happening only after the hardware is inserted? If you turned one and let it sit without inserting the hardware, does it have any cracks? If not, maybe file down the inside of the tubes until the hardware slides in and then epoxy in place. Best of luck, hopefully whatever the problem is will be resolved soon!

PenMan1

Same exact same problems here too, Alan. And it's NOT just the red jasper here, it's the red with gold web and the red with gold vein, too.

In fact, every since the "factory explosion" all of the Tru Stones have had "issues".

ashaw

Thanks Don.
It's been happening at various points of the process. I had one crack on me after cutting the blank. After drilling. I do two pass drilling on all of my blanks. Once 8mm the final drill for the final dimension. Three blanks while turning. I had two crack before inserting the hardware. Four barrel set cap and body crack after assembly with in a couple of days. My blank ends are square tubes clear of any glue. The tube beveled. Three blanks cracked even after I press the hardware the tubes no blanks on them and disassemble the hardware. Then epoxy the hardware final in. and still cracks. Penman I think you may be are one something.

Top Bottom