Red Grandis wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

Went out to Rockler, this morning, To pick up some pen bushings, and to check their wood boards out. I happened across a piece that I had never heard of, before, and the name of it was 'Red Grandis'. It wasn't that rich in character aspects, but it did sport enough to capture my interest.

The board was .75"x 6"x 30", and I picked it up to section pen blanks from it. As already alluded to, I know nothing of this wood, but neither did it break the bank for me to try it out :).

Would like to know, though, if anyone has used this wood for pen blanks. If so, how did you like it?

jimmyz

Red Grandis is grown and distributed under control and this has to be done under a set of rules. It's a substitute for Eucalyptus. I've used it to make furniture. It works easily, but can be tricky to finish (wanted to stain red, but something in the wood prevents the red stain from having the desired effect). Haven't used it for pens, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. It is a little on the soft side, but a good CA finish should work. Hope this helps.

NLAlston

Yes, I did just find that this wood was also known as eucalyptus.

I also appreciate the info on the working aspects of this wood. I am certainly going to give it a shot, concerning pen turning, and I will need your advisory on using CA glue. I've just recently started dabbling with CA, and have learned that the thin variety will be my choice. I've had poor results with the medium viscosity - and, also, don't like that plastic look which was achieved.

Thanks, to you both, for chiming in.

Top Bottom