Red flame Boxelder question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

My first time working with red flame boxelder NON-stabilized and I noticed something in the blank.

It turned very easily and left some nice contrasting colors of red and cream colors on the blank with some very slight GREY lines throughout. As I continued to sand finer and finer, more grey showed up and became more pronounced. It looks ok, but just not as I had envisioned with the original blank.
I guess my question is...... Is that normal in flame Boxelder or is there a problem with my finishing/sanding technique? Thank you for the help.

JOhn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
First let me welcome you to the black hole (that's what all your money will be disappearing into).
The grey is most likely fine metal particles from sanding your bushings. Either get you some delrin bushings made for when you sand, remove the bushings before sanding (mandreless turning) or be careful not to sand the bushings.

Thank You for the help, I think you are absolutely right.

Oh Yeah, pen blanks..... it seems I collect more and more than I even have for pen kits... must be a disease or something ;)

John

jkeithrussell

John
Grey and red frequently coexist in box elder . Wayne

That's what I was thinking too. As you sanded down further, you could have simply exposed more of a natural grey line. Wipe the blank down with acetone or scrub it with steel wool. If it cleans up, the problem was your sanding. If it doesn't, then it's just the natural colors of the blank.

JerrySambrook

If you bleach the box elder with two part wood bleach, the grey gets lighter, the white stays whiter, and the red stands out more, and does not turn brown as quickly. Also, CA and many oils will usually make unbleached box elder turn yellowish.

These are tricks I learned from a couple of old-timers.

Jerry

Thanks, I feel a little bit better, as I was very careful the second time around as still found the grey areas.

Oh No, I was hoping it would stay more or less the same color ;( Thanks for telling me, I had no idea. I am just too inexperienced to know these things ;)

Top Bottom