Red?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Don't need to ruin an expensive piece of pink ivory... you can do the same with a piece of maple... just make sure it is non-figured and use a couple of coats of spirit dye.. I like the Artisan or Chestnut dyes that CSU sells... I also have used some acrylic artist ink that has worked well...
This set was done on big leaf western maple, but I buffed the dye to get the difference in colors... if it had been plain maple, the dye would be more uniform and I would have used another coat for density..

2005481354_RedHat.jpg

dougle40

While Griz's pens are a very nice red , that's no where near the "Fire Engine " red that is being saught after . My suggestion would be "Magic Markers" in red on something like a Maple wood . The pic below was done with a standard red marker and a blue one . I think that this is more along the lines of the color that your looking for . You can get other "Sharpie" markers that may be even closer to the color .

20054815454_RWB%20001-1%20sm.jpg

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
This set was done on big leaf western maple, but I buffed the dye to get the difference in colors... if it had been plain maple, the dye would be more uniform and I would have used another coat for density..
Doug, I specifically stated that I buffed out the dye to get the difference in colors and that if I had used another coat on a plain piece of wood the color would be more uniform and dense... I was not stating that this was the color he was looking for.. but that this is a good dye to use to get that color...
I have also found that markers run under a CA or solvent finish and can sometimes affect the finish... it has to do with the carrier for the color

dougle40

I have also found that markers run under a CA or solvent finish and can sometimes affect the finish... it has to do with the carrier for the color

Tom ,
That is a good point although I haven't experienced that problem with the finish that I use (Turners Polish) .

JimGo

Just ran into the CA-marker problem yesterday. Interestingly, when I used Shellawax and heated it up, it actually pulled the marker coloring from the pen in places. You'll see when I post the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom