Is RED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I haven't noticed that big people (vertically and / or horizontally) prefer red. :biggrin:

As to what color sells best the following is my experience:

Women seem to prefer red, green, purple, black, brown, yellow and orange unless they are in the mood for something else.

Men seem to prefer black unless they are with a woman in which case they seem to prefer what the woman tells them to prefer.

Dark figured wood always sold better than light wood of any kind for me.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Ed

alphageek

Former Moderator
For me.... on a normal day..

Pink, Purple, Blue.....

Then EVERYTHING else becomes a blur because everyone loves all kinds of colors - seriously I can't keep track so I try and keep an extreme variety.

OOPS

My friend used to sell at art shows and fairs in the area for several years. One day I looked at his display and said, "Why did you make this ugly orange pen?" He told me that he had made the pen several years before. No one had actually purchased the ugly orange pen, but it had caught the eye of dozens and dozens of people who were walking by the booth. When they stopped to look at the orange pen, then ended up buying something else. So you could say that the orange pen "sold" the most, although it never sold itself!

He told me that having an extensive variety was his key to selling. He sold an intense lime green pen one time to a lady who then called him back to order more.

You never know what is going to sell.

Last edited:

Chasper

We merchandise mid-priced pens (under $100) by colors, all the reds together, all the blues together, etc. We wouldn't set up a show without a significant offering of red, but it would be rare that red was the top selling color. We track sales by color from year to year so that we can plan for what to display each year. If one color starts selling well, we pull more of that same color out of the storage cases and beef up the presentation.

School colors also come into play, if we are selling in Bloomington, IN, Columbus, OH, or Louisville, KY; all of which have major universities who use red as their predominate school color, then we will put out a few extra red pens.

Which colors sell best? I think you need to work that out for yourself and the markets in which you sell. There is considerably variability from one show to the next.

Last edited:

ttpenman

I've done mostly wood although I'm starting to do more acrylics. In wood, figure is the biggest factor. The light woods that always do well are Curly and Birds Eye Maple. The majority for me a darker figured or spalted woods. In the acrylics, purple and greens do pretty well. Unfortunately, in my local economy, pens aren't selling very well these days.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Top Bottom