Recycling pen parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PMisiaszek

I'm trying to disassemble some pens I made that I'm not happy with. Three are "Euros" with center bands I attached with CA. I don't mind destroying the center band. One of the center bands twisted off with a little brute force, but two others won't budge. I'm soaking one of them in acetone, but I'm wondering if there is a better method of removing a CA-glued center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Heat will cause the CA to soften enough to break the bond . I have used a small soldering iron to heat tubes that have gotten stuck partway into a blank and to remove glued in parts to disassemble pens for refinishing . It also works with epoxy as well .

PMisiaszek

Thanks for the heat tip. I discovered that a brief soak of the band area in acetone, or nail polish remover, loosened the band enough that it twisted off. Of course, I'm refinishing the blanks. This was prompted by the discovery that the friction finish I used on the pens a couple of years ago wore through just from rubbing against the elastic in the pen box. Since the pens were turned from real nice blanks, I decided it was worth the effort to disassemble and refinish them.

nava1uni

I use a hair dryer on high, which doesn't hurt the finish or material, but does loosen the glue. I have one in my work area for lots of tasks that require heat, but not as much as a heat gun. Handy little tool.

Top Bottom