Recreating the wheel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

This is probably the wrong forum for this, but I wonder if we've ever considered building our own set of directions for the most common pen types. (For all I know, we have one in the existing library, but I haven't seen it. Forgive and inform me if we have.) We have a lot of very good tutorials on variations, but I'm talking about the basics.

This notion came up in an odd thread in introductions and I thought I'd float it out here. Several reasons I think it makes sense:
  • Most of the manufacturer/vendor instructions read like they were written by Chinese engineers
  • With the expertise of our members, we could make these living documents that also incorporate individuals' suggested tweaks, variations and modifications
  • Our members are better photographers than whoever has been writing the ones I've been using
Being independent, we can also offer suggestions on which bushing sets, mandrel configurations etc. are best. In short, we can do it better.

Again, I have to acknowledge that these may exist, though maybe they aren't the easiest to find. If so, perhaps we assemble them into a "basic kit instructions" area rather than having them scattered among the years.

What do you guys think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctwxlvr

I think it is a good idea, as I have found at least one kit (Perfume pens) where the bushings are different from different manufactures yet the kits are the same except for shape (same tubes and sizes of bushings) yet one expects you to buy adapter tubes that are separate from the bushings, the other has shoulders on the bushings.

hrigg

Don't know for sure, but rewriting instructions without the manufacturers' permission might be a violation of the fair use clause in the copyright laws. I'd certainly check with an attorney before I did it.

FWIW, I will often print Berea instructions from two different sources and use them in combination as I need to, if it's a style of pen I've never made before.

Rmartin

That's a good idea. I wish I had the time to do it. I think it would help new and old alike. Perhaps we could do it as a Wikipedia type project. Start with the basics, and let peeps add helpful hints, then streamline it into a sticky thread. The one problem I have with most kit instructions is that they do not take in account for alignment of the wood grain. I often put pens together in a different order than the instructions advise.

Rmartin

cdcarter

As it happens, I'm familiar with copyright law. It would only apply if we took the words and photos and re-used them, which is the opposite of what I'm proposing. What I'm saying is, let's write our own. Our words. Our photos. Do it right from the ground up. We'd be doing them a favor, and some would probably just start using our directions anyway. At any rate, you can't forbid somebody from creating their own document based on your product.

Originally posted by hrigg
<br />Don't know for sure, but rewriting instructions without the manufacturers' permission might be a violation of the fair use clause in the copyright laws. I'd certainly check with an attorney before I did it.

FWIW, I will often print Berea instructions from two different sources and use them in combination as I need to, if it's a style of pen I've never made before.

cdcarter

That's exactly what I have in mind.

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />That's a good idea. I wish I had the time to do it. I think it would help new and old alike. Perhaps we could do it as a Wikipedia type project. Start with the basics, and let peeps add helpful hints, then streamline it into a sticky thread.

Rmartin

cdcarter

Originally posted by cdcarter
<br />As it happens, I'm familiar with copyright law. It would only apply if we took the words and photos and re-used them, which is the opposite of what I'm proposing. What I'm saying is, let's write our own. Our words. Our photos. Do it right from the ground up. We'd be doing them a favor, and some would probably just start using our directions anyway. And of course, they'd have our enthusiastic permission. At any rate, you can't forbid somebody from creating their own document based on your product.

Originally posted by hrigg
<br />Don't know for sure, but rewriting instructions without the manufacturers' permission might be a violation of the fair use clause in the copyright laws. I'd certainly check with an attorney before I did it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Most of the manufacturer/vendor instructions read like they were written by Chinese engineers

What is not to understand? It all reads good to me here in Japan. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom