recovery problem for screw caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

I work with what woodcraft call the screwcap (think it is called the american screwcap) and some of them do not make it out of the shop as is the case of my last one. I was using a titanium kit so would like to recover the parts. The problem is that the centerband is pushed on over the TOP of the brass tube (you need to cut a tenon down to the brass) and not inside the tube as with most parts.
It is therefore impossible to push the centerband out. What I am thinking is taking a spare mating part of the CB and glue it to a tube. I am then thinking about drilling holes into both the tube and the part holding the CB. Run wire through both holes then use a vice to try and pull the CB off.
Anyone come up with a better idea for recovering screwcap parts?

Wayne WB7WHI
Spokane, WA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Wayne Another approach might be to file through the brass tube with a small triangular file in 3 or 4 places (being very careful not to file through into the centerband) , then collapsing the tube in upon itself . Never tried this with a pen , but have done it on larger pipe fittings . Wayne

sparhawk

I have done this with european round tops. Take the top cap off( they usualy unthread) then using a punch knock out the small threaded part inside. Then post the pen in the centerband and us a punch to knock out the posted pen and centerband from the cap. Use a piece of wood turned down so as to not mar the post end.

wb7whi

sounds a bit more simple than my idea but then I tend to overengineer most everything.
Thanks

Wayne

gwilki

I may have done the same as Cindy. I've used a wooden block, bored out so that it slips over the cap blank, but stops at the band. Then, I just tap the block. It's like using a transfer punch, but in reverse.

Top Bottom