Recovering Tubes From Rejects

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jamesomac

Does anyone have any experience in recovering tubes from acrylic blanks that, for whatever reason, did not work. I can generally recover tubes from wood blanks with a utility knife, but don't know how to do it with acrylic.

I have a case where I have a pen set with no tubes, and the tubes are not available separately.

Would appreciate any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

If ater casting and there are flaws or large bubbles I stand them on
end and do a band saw cut on the 4 sides lengthwise w/o hitting the
brass. Then use a narrow screwdriver and split it off the tube and clean
up the glue w/ solvent. Could the blade make a quicker disaster decision
than I could - certainly, and would. Recently though I just pitch them.

jfoh

Tubes are not that expensive and I always buy a few extra ones when buying kits. Would you rather spend time reclaiming a .20 item or learning from the mistake and trying again?

Jamesomac

I agree with buying the extra tubes, and I do when they are available. But, for this pen kit, extra tubes are not available.

Gary Beasley

Heating the tubes from the inside will loosen the glue, especially CA. You can slip the tubes out and clean up with acetone. I've done this with a bic lighter and with a woodburning pen. Be careful you don't light it up if you try the lighter.

Jamesomac

I tried soaking these in acetone as was suggested, and after only a couple hours the acrylic started turning to gel. It would seem that an overnight soaking would completely free up the tubes.

Truly amazing what acetone will do to acrylic.

Jamesomac

How does one delete a post. Occasionally I get a duplication and need to delete one. I click the edit button, but there is no delete.

Last edited:

Curly

How does one delete a post. Occasionally I get a duplication and need to delete one. I click the edit button, but there is no delete.

There is the "Report post" sign on the left of the screen for each post, yellow triangle with the exclamation mark. Explain what you did and the moderator can then remove your boo boo. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often and the moderators don't have to do a lot of it.

sbwertz

That's when I go in and edit the second post, deleting all the text and adding new text, usually to add something to the first post. It WASN'T a mistake...I MEANT to do that!!!:biggrin:

Jamesomac

I saw the 10" long 3/8 tubes on one of the U.S. sites, but there are two issues with them. One is the ridiculous cost of shipping to Canada, and the other is the problem if cutting them to length without screwing up the ends. Penn State has a tube cutter, but it cost about 58.00 and I'm not sure if I want to invest that much money. Also, they charge about 30.00 to ship it. Better off throwing away the pen set and buying a new one.

Anyway, I'm still working on recovering the old tubes. It may take some time, but at least it will bring a smile to my face if I succeed. If it doesn't, I'll just revert to my normal grouchy self.

KenV

I saw the 10" long 3/8 tubes on one of the U.S. sites, but there are two issues with them. One is the ridiculous cost of shipping to Canada, and the other is the problem if cutting them to length without screwing up the ends. Penn State has a tube cutter, but it cost about 58.00 and I'm not sure if I want to invest that much money. Also, they charge about 30.00 to ship it. Better off throwing away the pen set and buying a new one.

Anyway, I'm still working on recovering the old tubes. It may take some time, but at least it will bring a smile to my face if I succeed. If it doesn't, I'll just revert to my normal grouchy self.

Use a thin cut-off wheel in a dremel or similar. Clean cuts within a sixteenth with a bit of practice. And fast. Also easy.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I tried soaking these in acetone as was suggested, and after only a couple hours the acrylic started turning to gel. It would seem that an overnight soaking would completely free up the tubes.

Truly amazing what acetone will do to acrylic.
Just curious....what did you not like about my suggestion? You melted the material with acetone, and it appears you're still looking for other options, including buying tubes and cutters. I'm guessing you prefer the long way of doing things.:)

mick

I just toss the ruined blank in a draw as I might need it or part of it someday. I've got more tubes than some of our suppliersdde0e.
Several ways of cutting tubes were mentioned including an expensive tubing cutter. I use a hobbyist tubing cutter found in the train section of any Hobby Lobby, or I'd guess any hobby store. IIRC it wasn't very expensive, very small and works just like its big brothers. If it comes down to having to part the material off the tube just use a parting tool it doesn't make much difference if you take a little brass in the process. Your epoxy or thick CA won't caredde09. We tend. To over think a lot of this stuff.

Last edited:

Jamesomac

I did take your suggestion, Chuck. I turned them down to near the brass, then soaked them in acetone. The talk about buying new tubes was what I was trying to do prior to finding this solution. I've been recovering tubes from wood blanks all along, just did not know how to do it with acrylic. I will still buy extra tubes from time to time when I place my regular order if they are available because they are very cheap and add nothing to the shipping cost.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Never thought about the Dremmel Ken. If I can find the tubes in Canada, I will give it a try.
2 choices in Canada, Rookie!:biggrin:
www.penblanks.ca & Artistic Wood & Tool Supply Inc. sales@woodchuckers.com or www.woodchuckers.com

My term Rookie was used loveingly since you only have 18 posts or so.

I cut all my tubes to length on the TS with a thin kerf blade just above the top of the tube. I use a sled to hold the tube.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Works for me!

Attachments

• cut brass tubing (Small).jpg
    cut brass tubing (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 217
  • cut brass tubing 2 (Small).jpg
    cut brass tubing 2 (Small).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 232

wouldentu2?

Just turn them down to the brass and reuse them. A parting tool lets you get to the end if you turn them down with the bushings. Extremely little brass is lost.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I did take your suggestion, Chuck. I turned them down to near the brass, then soaked them in acetone. The talk about buying new tubes was what I was trying to do prior to finding this solution. I've been recovering tubes from wood blanks all along, just did not know how to do it with acrylic. I will still buy extra tubes from time to time when I place my regular order if they are available because they are very cheap and add nothing to the shipping cost.
Sorry Bud! I thought I read that you soaked them in acetone for a couple of hours, and the acrylic turned to gel. Don't mind me.....I'm old :biggrin:

Jamesomac

I didn't turn them all the way to the brass, Chuck, just left some so that I would not touch the brass. That is what started turning to gel after a couple of hours. I left them overnight, however, and the remaining acrylic was completely gone.

Top Bottom