Recommended protection from 3M technical support!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
RESPIRATORY protection RECOMMENDED by 3M technical support!!

I want everyone to know the low cost of practical, effective respiratory protection.
From another thread, I asked about recommended protection, but received various responses without specifics, so:

I called the experts.

I talked to 3M technical support and talked to a very helpful gentleman about what a woodworker who specifically uses CA and various finishing products should use for respiratory protection.

The whole package he recommended came to $37.53 (not including tax and shipping)

Here's the breakdown, including prices from http://masksnmore.stores.yahoo.net/

Half mask #6200 (#6300 for those of us with large craniums sized 8 1/4+)[$10.79]

filter #6001 (this is the organic filter that gets the CA and other fumes)[$8.49/pair]

prefilter #5P71 (gets the dust before it clogs the 6001, this attaches to the #6001)[$14.25/pair]

501 retainer that holds the filter in place [$4.00 / pair]

I'll be ordering this exact package. Hope this info and my inquiry helps someone else, too! If I left out anything, please let me know!

Gregory of Sherwood Forest

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

amosfella

It's good knowledge. From the title, I thought you were recommending getting some kind of special suit every time you called 3m technical support....... :D

Amosfella,

good point, perhaps I should alter the title. It can also be mistaken to be a reference to birth control, couldn't it? :rolleyes:

I think I'll edit it...

Gregory of OopsOnTheTitle Forest

jskeen

I looked at both the MSDS and the user instructions for these particular cartridges and neither lists a specific time after opening or hours if direct use before the cartridges become ineffective, it just says that if you are still smelling whatever it is you don't want to smell, get new filters. It also says store away from contaminated areas. That's not always feasible in a hobby shop, but a ziplock bag will definitely prolong the useful lifespan of the filters.

cajun skeeter

40 hours of exposer to air. It's starts degrading as soon as you take out of the bag. I have been selling masks for thirty years and I have never seen a painter track how long he has used it, much less returning it to the bag. When you can smell what you don'nt want to smell, change it, are get an air supplied unit.

Cajun Skeeter,
So if I take the filters out of the bag and leave them hanging in my shop for 2 days, then they are worthless? I may go 2 or 3 weeks between uses...

Looks like I gotta call 3M again...

MikeMcM1956

Greg,
I have a mask I have used with the original cartridges for about six months. I use it primarily for paints, thinners, etc as I am not using CA much as a finish yet (noob). I keep the entire mask in a large ziploc, and am following the 'change the cartridges when you can smell what you're not supposed to' philosophy.

Another thing to keep in mind is to wipe out the inside of the mask regularly with a disenfectant wipe. Your breath can grow stuff inside the mask worse than what you're trying to keep outside the mask :eek: ....

Mike

Thanks guys, I ordered the exact setup I posted here. I'll let you know how well it works when I get it. I'm gonna turn a pen just for a CA application and finish it while wearing the mask the day it arrives...

wish me luck

Last edited:

glycerine

Yes, I realize that this thread is almost a year and a half old and that's why I am resurrecting it...
Because by now, if Greg (and others) actually used this setup, he/they can give a good assessment. I have been looking at getting a better mask setup. I see that Home Depot carries this exact packout for about $30.
So, for those that use this, has this worked well for you? Are there pros/cons that I should know about? How often do you find that you are changing the filter(s)? Will I spend a fortune replacing the filters when I could spend a little more up front for a different setup and save money in the long run?

its_virgil

When you do(call 3M again) refine your question to woodturners and be sure he understands how much dust we churn out. I think we should be more concerned with the amount of fine dust we make than the small amount of fumes we generate applying a finish to a pen. But, I could be way off base...I've been picked off a few times.:biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looks like I gotta call 3M again...

Last edited:
Glycerine, PM sent!

For others: I DO recommend this setup, it's been great for me. I've had no CA reactions since using it.

Just an FYI - I also recommend protection during sanding or any other operation that puts wood particles in your beathing space. I just watched my Mother In Law die from lung cancer 3 days ago. She was a smoker, but you can get it from lots of chemicals and fines wood dust also. I don't want to see any of my online friends here go thru that either. You'd be surprised how much stuff is picked up by my 24" boxfan/charcoal filter setup that I use when sanding. Cheap and effective!

witz1976

When you do(call 3M again) refine your question to woodturners and be sure he understands how much dust we churn out. I think we should be more concerned with the amount of fine dust we make than the small amount of fumes we generate applying a finish to a pen. But, I could be way off base...I've been picked off a few times.:biggrin::biggrin:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don I am glad you mentioned this, as I was about to. Also ask if possible to what particle size do the pre-filters protect to, what the rest of the filter takes.

soligen

FYI: I have this on order (currently in transit) from amazon. I got the mask with the 6001 filters. In addition I got 2 pair of P100 dust filters to use for just dust while in the shop so I can leave the 6001s sealed in a container. total was $38.82 with super saver shipping.

The standard dust pre-filter over the 6001s is only P95 rated, which is why I got hte better deperate dust filters to swap in and out with.

1 of: 3M R-2091 Particulate Filter P100, 4-Pack [Tools & Hardware]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$10.66
1 of: 3M R6211 Low-Maintenance Half-Mask Organic Vapor, P95 Respirator Assembly, Medium [Tools & Hardware]
By: Dean Martin
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$28.16

Fred

Amosfella,

good point, perhaps I should alter the title. It can also be mistaken to be a reference to birth control, couldn't it? :rolleyes:

Gregory of OopsOnTheTitle Forest

You mean that is where some folks are going wrong. CA ain't for birth control ... NO, tell the world it ain't so .....

Actually, I find your post to be a great deal of useful information. More so to those that refuse to believe that even just plain ole everyday wood dust can be very costly to one's health. A lot more costly than even the expense of this less than $40 rig. :biggrin:

I guess in time they too will learn that there just is no helping the 'hard headed!'

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
sanding dust

Glycerine, PM sent!

For others: I DO recommend this setup, it's been great for me. I've had no CA reactions since using it.

Just an FYI - I also recommend protection during sanding or any other operation that puts wood particles in your beathing space. I just watched my Mother In Law die from lung cancer 3 days ago. She was a smoker, but you can get it from lots of chemicals and fines wood dust also. I don't want to see any of my online friends here go thru that either. You'd be surprised how much stuff is picked up by my 24" boxfan/charcoal filter setup that I use when sanding. Cheap and effective!

I started turning just a short while back...maybe 3 1/2 years...and I did more damage to my lungs is three years of breathing sawdust than in 60 years of smoking....that dust is nasty stuff.

Top Bottom