Recommended: Brownells AcraGlas Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fulmaduro

I have read a lot of posts here on IAP about glues and epoxies and seems like a lot of turners like CA and others like epoxy.

I prefer epoxy for gluing up blanks and being a bladesmith/knifemaker I definitely would like to recommend epoxy users to try Brownells AcraGlas. A vast majority of knifemakers use the Brownells due to the extreme bond that lasts decades without degrading (disintegrating), slow set-up time, less than 1/10th of 1% shrinkage, and a shelf life of 7-10 years at room temperature.

Brownells AcraGlas has an extreme bonding strength and is said to last 50 years before any signs of degrading. That strength and longevity is probably overkill for a pen but if you want to make the best pens you possibly can and want them to last a long long time it is worth considering. I believe the slow set-up time allows the epoxy to permeate the inside surface of the wood blank. It is pourable mixed at room temperature at a 4:1 ratio by volume. It can be made thicker by heating in a microwave in 15-20 second bursts, which also makes it cure much faster. Full working strength in 48 hours. Dries clear. It was originally designed for glass bedding rifle actions into wooden stocks, and also is used widely on space age stock materials. But I love the 7-10 year shelf life. I bought the quart size from Brownells since I use a lot more epoxy on a hidden tang knife than one would use on a pen blank.

It can be hard to find at times and can be pricy, but most outdoor sporting supply stores and gun shops would probably carry it. The standard kit is probably the best bet for one to try it out. Brownells link below.

Just wanted to share my experience and well worth the try for those that want the best epoxy. Thanks and sorry for such a long post.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ock-bedding-adhesives/acraglas--prod1033.aspx

Top Bottom