Recommendations for heftier, well-balance pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmyers4

So far, the pen kits I have made are slimline, Flat-top American, and Baron/Sedona. I like the Flat-top American twist style because there is no cap to fiddle around with, but it can be a fussy kit to make. And I wonder how durable the twist mechanism is.

I've been making some Barons and Sedonas lately, and I really like these kits. They look very professional, and the rollerball writes smoother than the American ballpoint, I think.

However, my wife has MS, and my sister-in-law has a similar ailment, though not MS. I can't quite remember what it's called. Anyway, they both have said that a heftier pen would be easier for them to write with. So I'm wondering what other people on this forum might recommend. I have some Sierra kits on hand, but haven't turned any yet. I'm thinking the Sierra might fit the bill. What do you think?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

A few people here have discussed this in the past. Have you thought about a cigar with ornamentation like Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) does? He has some in his album that have O-rings near the writing tip that both increase the diameter and give a textured, somewhat tacky surface for the user to grasp, which some with physical disabilities have said can be beneficial.

Examples:
Not a cigar, but:
pen118a.jpg
<br />

See the 3rd and 4th from the left:
pen119c.jpg
<br />

bjackman

Like Gerry, I think the shape and size of the El Grande family grip section is one of the best around both shape and size wise. As he said for heft, go for the churchill or for lighter go for the el grande or the streamline.
Another thought would be the Gentleman's or Statesman rollerball kits. The pens don't post, so they tend to be a fairly balanced pen to write with. Nice heft for those who like it and a nice shape and size to the grip section. Definately not a purse pen though. [;)]

gerryr

If you want a ballpoint bigger than the Cigar, try the CSUSA Havana ballpoint, it is sort of like a Cigar on steroids. The other rollerball that I forgot is the Berea El Presidente or the CSUSA Havana rollerball, basically the same pen but different clips.

Mikey

For heft and nice feel, the cigar pen is the one IMO. The others with posting caps are heavy, but I find the nib end a bit small, and if you don't post the cap, they are way too light. Sierras are nice, but not nearly as large or hefty as a Cigar pen. FWIW, Cigars are nice and cheap too.[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom