Recommendation for bowl turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

My wife wants to get me a set of lathe tools for bowl turning (and pen turning). All I have now are the basic 3 pen tools from PSI.

I need some recommendations for a 5-6 piece tool set.
I have looked at set from CSUSA, Woodcraft, etc. and cant make a decision. Thought I would turn to the experts on the forum.

Thanks for any advise.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I don't know what "the basic three pen tools" are. We have so many different opinions and views here that it is unlikely there are any accepted "basic" tools. I'll agree that almost everyone uses a spindle gouge and a skew. After that, it's probably a wild variety.
But, for bowl turning, rather than a set which might include some tools you will never use, I suggest you just get one good bowl gouge. A 1/2" or 5/8" would be fine. Later, you can get what you believe will be important for you. e.g. scrapers

tim self

I agree with the bowl gouge, 3/8 or 1/2" . But go ahead and get the round nose scraper. you will need it. I recommend Benjamin Best. Really nice quality for the price. Next best thing to tools is instruction. Learing how to present the tool to the wood without having a 5 lb item flying at you making you wanna change your drawers.

marcruby

You can pretty much get by with a 1/2" fingernail ground bowl gouge (or even smaller) and a radiused scraper when starting out. I started out with a Sorby 3/8" which was then ground to a fingernail profile and a heavy radiused scraper that I think is a Crown. The scraper was eventually reground to suit the way I work.

I still use both of these except that now I have four bowl gouges (from 3/8" to 3/4") and a number of specifically designed scrapers. And a whole slew of hollowing tools.

There's a wide range of costs you can pick from. My only observation is that you get what you pay for even when you think you are getting more than what you pay for. Bowl tools need to take and hold very sharp edges -- you can spend a lot of time sanding and sharpening or you can spend a lot of time turning wood. I prefer the latter.

Marc

Last edited:

Daniel

Here is the list of tools I woudl not want to turn a pen without.
1/2" gouge
5/8 or 3/4" Gouge
1/16" parting tool
3/4" skew (3/4" is my preference)
and recently the Skogger

As for bowls you probably want a bigger parting tool and probably larger gouges as well depending on what you want to turn.

Oh yeah there is a difference between a bowl gouge and a spindle gouge but I will leave that to those that actually turn bowls.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
For bowls I generally use an Ellsworth bowl gouge, round nose scraper, and a parting tool for cutting it off the waste block

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I disagree with the "do not buy a set" crowd. I bought a Sorby 5 piece set that consists of a 3/8 bowl gouge, a 3/4" roughing gouge, a round nose scraper, a 3/4" oval skew, an 1/8 parting tool, and some size spindle gouge. The only tool in the lot that I don't use is the spindle gouge.

For pens, all I use is the bowl gouge and the skew. If I was only turning pens then I would not waste my money on any of the others. For bowls I use my bowl gouge, skew on occasion and a radius edge scraper as wel as my hollowing tools.

My most used go to tool is one of my 4 bowl gouges then my skew.

Not saying my way is the best or that it is the way you should go, that is just what I prefer. Whatever you do, my suggestion is to buy the best tools you can afford. My motto on tools is "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools". Then again, some say I am a tool snob but I like really good tools of all kinds!

KenV

I suspect you will want 2 bowl gouges -- one with fingernail/Ellsworth/Irish grind (with long edges on the side of the "fingernail" AND one that has a short straight bevel on it. (The short straight bevel one is for the bottoms and bottom corners without needing high skill levels and getting massive catches).

In addition, you will probably one one or two scrapers with as thick a steel as you can afford. One will have a 90 degree angle (canted) for corners and such. The other will be rounded.

I do like the bowl gouges that Doug Thompson sells -- and you get to make your own handles.

Nick

I agree with Frank, getting a "set" would include tools you may never use. Then as your skills increase, you can add other specialized tools.
Hope this helps

JimB

I've only made a dozen or so bowls but to get started I bought a 3/8 Sorby Bowl Gouge and a 1/2 Sorby Scraper. I already had a parting tool for removing the bowl from the waste block. That's all I've needed to get started. I'm sure I'll add more tools as I make more bowls.

talbot

Another very happy owner/user of Thompson tools.
They are exceptionally good.
You can contact Doug direct and he will give you sound advice, he's a very nice guy to deal with.
regards, Bill

andyk

Everybody is talking about turning tools, but the one tool nobody has mentioned is a slow speed grinder. Locally it costs $9.00 per lathe chisel for sharpening service. Doesn't take many of those to cover the cost of the grinder, 1725 RPM 8". I think Woodcraft has their's on sale for $79.95 right now. Do a google search for for sharpening fixtures. You can make a replica Wolverine fixture for about $30 tops versus buying for $100.

marcruby

I have a Thompson gouge. I'd recommend them but I'm not sure that someone starting out should begin with them since they represent a significant investment (worth every penny). Same wit the Glaser's I'm about to acquire. I see nothing wrong with starting out cheap and experimenting. Then you'll understand what the value of a Thompson really is when the time comes.

Marc

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I see nothing wrong with starting out cheap and experimenting.
Marc

Me either, which is why I'd recommend finding a turning club and seeing if
you can put your hands on some of these tools and ask advice in person.

It is one thing to get good advice on a forum like this (and there's a ton of
good advice, don't get me wrong) but it is quite another thing to put the
tool in your hand and use it. See if it fits your 'style' .. see if it works for
you. Watch other people use their tools. Ask questions. Get advice.

Why do people with such varied experiences have different opinions on the
same thing? Because tools are very personal, and they are used according
to your own style, comfort level, experience, horoscope etc.

If it were cut and dried, there would be one manufacturer :biggrin:

S

spiritwoodturner

I'm not a fan of anyting in "sets" either. The quality is never the same, and you do end up with 1 pristine tool that never gets used because you have no use for it.

My vote would be for a 1/2 inch bowl gouge. Thompson stuff is very nice, but it sounds like John is starting out, and may not want to turn a handle and put the 2 together. Henry Taylor makes good enough steel, and starting out you can afford to run it into the chuck (who has NOT done that when they were starting?!) and not panic. You can grind it down to the nub learning how to grind (you will) and go crazy with it.

Learn. Make as many mistakes as possible. Try new stuff. HAVE FUN!!!

Dale

firefightered

I have been turning bowls for some time now and pens for about 3 years. I personally use Crown Pro PM. I use a 1/4" fingernail grind bowl gouge to turn pens and small bowls. And i use a 1/2 or 3/4" Bowl gouge to rough out my larger vessels. You don't want to get anything cheaply mad if your going to turn bowls, there is a lot of pressure on your tools when you rough out the bowl. And I also agree with the guy from Toledo (my home city as well GO MUDHENS). If you are serious about turning either pens or bowls you need a grinding wheel and a jig to sharpen your tools. A sharp tool is your best friend. If you need any advise or guidance when you start turning, please feel free to contact me. I teach bowl and pen turning in my spare time.
Herby

Top Bottom