recommend an affordable bandsaw that doesn't suck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Travis Fry

The title says it all. I just sold my little Ryobi that I picked up used, and it was worse than useless. I am willing to spend $250-350, and I'm not particularly brand loyal. I also want the best saw I can get for the money, and would spend more than the above if there's a truly good reason I should. It'll mostly get used sawing down larger stock into pen blanks and knife scales and blocks, but may occasionally be required for things like resawing stock, cutting large circular table tops, and who knows what else.

Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I recently got a Craftsman as a gift. I think it's a great little saw not to be used for heavy re sawing but suits my needs.

Dan Masshardt

Go for a 14" saw. Some much more capability than the benchtops.

In your budget look used first - Craigslist / auctions. I'd be looking at delta, jet, grizzly, some of the clones are decent others not. Also even higher price stuff - powermatic, Laguna.

If you go new, prob the grizzly in the ballpark of your price range. Bandsaw is such a good tool to not cheap out on.

BSea

I agree with Dan. This is one tool you don't want to get in the bargain basement. The 1st thing I'd do if I were you is to buy "The Bandsaw Book". One thing it does is tell you what to look for in a bandsaw, and what to avoid. I have a 14" Delta that I got from Lowe's on closeout. It was the floor model, and needed some TLC when I got it home. But it was a steal at $200.

Don't be afraid of used machines. But do a test cut if possible.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
+1 on the Rikon 14" (Model 10-325)
It has a 13" resaw capability & doesn't need a riser
It generally runs around $1000, but I got one on sale at Woodcraft last year for about $750. One of the best tool buys I ever made.

Old Codger

Go for the Grizzly 14" 30th Anniversary edition! Precision balanced cast iron wheels, great adjustable fence and solid cast iron table plus fully adjustable bearing blade adjustments. Hefty, cast iron and heavy steel frame and housing plus has the capability to add a hefty riser block and resaw fence well under $800 even without sale prices. I couldn't be more pleased w/mine and the personalized service I have received from Grizzly! P.S. Don't forget to several Timberwolf blades to make cuts feel like butter!!!

Cmiles1985

I bought the 14" Craftsman as I was on a budget, and it had the largest resaw capacity in that price range, plus it was on sale for $360. It's a rather lackluster tool, does not come with a fence or a miter gauge. To add a fence (the Kreg fence is $85 on Amazon), I had to drill and tap holes in the table. To change the blade, I have to remove the fence. I didn't know much about bandsaws, but now I know that I would rather buy a better used machine, or suck it up and spend the dough on a really good new saw.

Top Bottom