Really proud of granddaughter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

My grandson and granddaughter along with my daughter are visiting for part of the summer.
Son in law is in Afghanistan.
Made a couple of pens for them. Granddaughter is taking what was called shop when i was in school but now called tech.
She as made a few things like candle holder out of wood, and a catupult (sp?).
She wanted to make a pen for her grandfather which has been given a death sentence, has cancer and was given 4-6 months to live.
We glued up some walnut and oak cut them on a slant and make a pen blank. I first took a piece of scrap of wood let her get used to using the tools.
She said she enjoyed that so we then placed the pen blank on the lathe.
She did a very good job. She is 12 years old.
Grandson walked into my shop and said "it looks different then I thought it would" then walked out.
I heard from my daughter that he now wants to make a pen he is 11. He wants to make one for bragging material.
Sorry no pictures. I have to get that set up.

Grandkids are fun.

dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jusaf

Dale,

That is so awesome that you are passing the skill/trade on to your grandkids. My daughter (turns 8 on 20 Jul) is very intersted in my woodworking projects. She helped me make my workbench and has helped on other projects. She wants to learn how to make pens but I'm not ready for her to use the lathe yet. As long as she stays interested, I will continue to teach her what I know. I'm hoping my son ( just turned 2) will be interested when he gets older.

Jim

leehljp

Member Liaison
I love it when our kids and grandkids get involved in work with dad or grandpa. My oldest grandson 11, is waiting for me to move back to the States (17 months) and make pens with him. I can't wait!

I enjoyed the write-up of your grand daughter's interest.

randyrls

Our Grandkids spent the day here this week so their parents could go off for some "private time". The girl is 14 and her brother is 16. My wife and Kathleen made cookies in the kitchen. So Alex and I went into the shop and made two pens. Button Click Sierra. They are both into Karate, so I had a Cocobolo blank with about half sapwood. The sapwood is a light cream color. I let Alex run the drill press and lathe. He turned the pen down to size and applied a CA finish. All in all a good day!

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Grand kids are awesome. Much more fun than their parents. I have two grand daughters in town that love to turn. Ages 13 & 14. They use to take turns on the lathe until I got a second.

shull

I hope I live long enough to have grandkids. Sounds like fun. Right now I will have to settle on helping my son's girlfriend build a dining table. Have fun with them.

nava1uni

I think that is really cool that your son's girlfriend is building a dining table. I think that teaching kid's, anyone's, a new skill is what is wonderful, be they boys or girls.

Top Bottom