Really Big News!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Several of us have been trying for a few years now to get the pens we make recognized by both the pen community and the woodturning community. We are serious about the pen we make and we think they have a place in both communities. Strides, if not (small but important) leaps, have been made in both communities.

Both Pen World and Stylus magazines have featured pens made by several member of the Pen Makers Guild. Both magazines have done features on individual penturner-penmakers. Several penturners are regularly attending the major pen shows to showcase their talent to the pen community, to showcase what we as a group are doing, and to sell a few pens, of course. Non-kit pens made by penturners are becoming more numerous as well as unique. Some penturner-penmakers are even placing ads in the major pen publications.

Now, I have a word about penturning in the woodturning community. Penturning demonstrations have been presented for the past 4 or 5 years at the Craft Supplies Super Wednesday Sale prior to the Utah Woodturning Symposium. A large and successful penturning meeting, The Penturner’s Rendezvous, is being held on Wednesday prior to the Utah Symposium for the 8th year. An informal meeting of penturners was help one evening during the AAW last year and is being held again this year. One or two demonstrations have been done at the AAW Symposium and the Utah Symposium for the last few years. Penturning articles are being printed in woodturning magazines quite regularly. Other demonstrations have been done at other regional symposiums.

Now, here is the “Really Big Newsâ€. This year at the Utah Woodturning Symposium there will be, not one or two, but EIGHT, penturning demonstrations. That’s right…EIGHT!! This is really HUGH. I will be doing 3 of them, Kurt Hertzog will be doing 3 and Bill Jackman will be doing 2. Dick Sing was doing 3 but had to back out for personal reasons. So, there were 11!! I do hope you guys and gals think this is as important as I (and others) do. We are making inroads into the woodturning community, as well as into the pen community.

But, the continuation of these demos will most likely be determined by the participation. I know there will be several of you who will attend the Penturner’s Rendezvous but not the symposium. I would like to encourage all that can to stay and attend the symposium. You will be able to see all eight penturning demos plus lots of great woodturning demos. I do hope that attendance at the penturning demos will be large enough that Utah and other symposiums will see fit to add penturning rotations to their program. Thanks for listening. I hope to see you later this month.

Do a good turn daily
http://www.utahwoodturning.com/site/page/pg2436-pn_Special_Events.html
http://www.utahwoodturning.com/site/page/pg2432-pn_Presenters.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If spirit counts, I will be there. Just be sure not to scare away the audience with your snakes. :)
Nice to see the evolution going in the right direction.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Don, thank you for all you guys are doing to promote pen turning/making. I wish I could be there and want to attend one year in the future.

I hope everything goes well and our art/craft continues to grow.

gerryr

That is great news Don. I can't make it to Provo this year, but if they're having that many again next year, I definitely will.

barrels

Hey Don,

From what I have read from your post, this is good news. I am not very political in the turning world... so I just wanted to thank you for your efforts and congrats on the opportunity to show your talents

Eric

Top Bottom