Realistic Cigar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I order some label to attempt to make one of the Realistic Cigar,
How to apply your labels ca glue or something else?
Under the finish or attach them after applying the finish?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

i make "under finish" cigars sometimes..
i glue label on bare wood first, let try, make sure its SNUG AS HELL! with no gaps
use 3-4 coats of HEAVY CA first, activator between layers. then couple medium/thin coats to level it out a bit.. buff and polish and its like glass. start with couple cheapo labels to practice, hard to get right. looks amazing when done well

IWC

Always under the finish. Thin CA glue on the back of the cigar band and then apply band to the bare wood. Let it dry and then apply your CA finish to the pen blank. That's the way I do it anyway. Lets see pictures when you are done.

hanau

Thanks
Bands wont be hear till next week and hopefully I can get my shop ac working friday.
The ac guys are coming Friday to service the house ac hopefully the will be willing to look at it and just need to be recharged.

Then I can at least try to figure out how to turn the cigar. never attempted one before.

Last edited:

MartinPens

I've always preferred not to put CA glue over the bands. Part of the enjoyment is the texture and embossment of the bands. But that means overtime they will wear out and have to be replaced so if you want them to be permanent then CA glue is a good option.

There is a tutorial in the library on making a realistic cigar that should get you going in the right direction. Have fun!

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with Martin on this. I use spray adhesive to attach the band and no finish over it. I tell anyone wanting one that they "can" replace the worn band when necessary and can smoke the stogie first to get the band they want.
WB

southernclay

I agree on non permanent band. The last one I made I have the band completely loose. That way it can be customized for someone's favorite cigar or a band with significance to them. Just used adhesive where the band could connect to itself at the right size needed for a slip fit.

Attachments

• image-741085627.jpg
    image-741085627.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 166
  • image-3578663138.jpg
    image-3578663138.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom