Real Ivory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

texasred

Has anyone used real elephant ivory to make a pen? I was thinking about it and was wondering the best way to finish it (or if it even needed a finish). There is a source on the internet for legal US ivory, but it is expensive and I do not want to screw it up. Any help would be great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Last edited:

terryf

I have used Elephant ivory amongst others.

Haven't had a problem.

As Mike said, Elephant ivory is banned for international trade by CITES. The only one you can trade is Warthog Ivory unless its in the US. Juts be careful of fake stuff.

Its terrible to work with but really rewarding at the same time. You will sharpen your tools every fifteen seconds or so. The place will stink something terrible as well but when its finished its really beautiful. Doesnt need a finish and it takes a fantastic shine.

Heres one I did using ivory and gemsbok to give you an idea. There is no finish on either the gemsbok or the ivory.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73055&highlight=ivory+gemsbok

good luck

GoodTurns

Ivory is probably my favorite material to turn (don't use it a lot $$$, but it turns like butter). As Mike said, temp is key, be gentle when drilling or it goes boom. Also make sure to reduce your couplers by sanding when pressing the pen together or you have a good chance of cracking the tube...and that really sucks (so I have heard).

Same treatment for mammoth, nice to turn, just be reasonable with it.

I do not use any finish on either, they feel too good to cover up.

Good luck if you give it a shot. I have gotten very nice blanks from the Warther Museum (Ivorybuyer.com, follow the links)

Attachments

• ivory fountain.jpg
    ivory fountain.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 186
  • mammoth.jpg
    mammoth.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 194

BKelley

Ivory is a beautiful material, it has been used for hundreds of years for just about any decorative object you can imagine. It has adorned the whimsives of Kings and Queens. That is the up side, the down side is that it is extremely easy to crack during working and even weeks after the project is finished. I can remember hafting a knife with ivory. It was super nice, two weeks later I heard a sharp cracking sound late one night. Sure enough, my expensive ivory, my time and pride had split from end to end. If you use ivory work it slow, do not allow any heat build up. Watch what type adhesive is used on it, glues that generate heat while curing should be avoided. Good luck and let's see some photos of your work

terryf

I have a few blocks of elephant ivory. I cannot sell it due to CITES restriction but I can donate it!

So here's the deal, you all know how expensive this stuff is and its just after the bash which I was too late to donate for - my bad!

The 4th and 9th person to donate $25, as confirmed by Jeff, will get a piece of elephant ivory big enough to make a Sierra pen. Even if you dont get any ivory you can be proud of your donation!

This will be from the time and date of this post till Monday evening 20.00 EST

I will pay for shipping.

This post is of course subject to approval by the mods!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Terry, that's a great offer, but please work with Mike Broberg our activities manager on this. There are probably more efficient ways to accomplish the same end and make best use of your kind donation.

Thanks!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
WOW! I'm sure that a couple pieces of Elephant Ivory would definately get some attention. I'll get with Terry and see what we can work out.

Russianwolf

That is a great offer, but Terry, the pieces can't be imported into the US, either sold or for free. Other countries have other rules but it's an outright ban on the importation/exportation here.

terryf

That is a great offer, but Terry, the pieces can't be imported into the US, either sold or for free. Other countries have other rules but it's an outright ban on the importation/exportation here.

Yup, looks like you're right! Outright ban except for sport hunted trophies which may be imported into the US.

Sorry for the confusion guys n gals but I wouldn't want to break any laws!!
I didn't do my homework :mad:

Top Bottom