Real Bullet Tip for a Pencil?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Did a search, but didn't see anything. Has anyone figured out how to use a real bullet for a tip for a 30 cal shell casing? I've been making a bunch of pens using 30 Cal FMJ bullets for tips, and would like to make a matching pen.

-gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I've done it with a Pentel pencil mechanism, and with a Schmidt DSM pencil mechanism. Just step-drill the bullet to match. Tolerances can be finicky (both the bullet and the pen length), so go slow and test-fit frequently. I used solid copper bullets, so I didn't have to worry about the lead deforming or separating from the jacket.

I hope that helps,
Eric

vtgaryw

I've seen the library article, it doesn't talk about pencils at all.

Eric, what size shell casing did you use with the Schmidt mechanism? Were you able to adapt it to a 30 cal?

Thanks,

Gary

Sylvanite

Eric, what size shell casing did you use with the Schmidt mechanism? Were you able to adapt it to a 30 cal?
Here's a pic of the Pentel mechanism cartridge pencil.

And one of a 300 WbyMag pen/pencil set using a Schmidt mechanism. Joe Aliperti (turbowagon) turned them.

I've also done them in 300 WinMag (but don't have a photo handy). I don't recall ever using 30-06 for a pencil, but it's certainly possible.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom