Ready to try antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

I think I am ready to try some antler on a pen. Where is the best place to find some? What kind is best? What do I need to know before tackling it? Any pointers toward a tutorial? Do I even want to do this? HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bob,
Antler isn't much different than turning wood or acrylics... little smellier, but I'm used to it... as to what kind is best... that'a almost a personal choice..like whatever you can get your hands on[8D]
Most of mine is Axis that I get from a guy in Texas.. you might try him at the Trade Mart Antiques in Jewett, Texas 903-626 5707.. Terry Jones email xxterry@tmjcreativesculptures.comxx or xxtrademart1999@sbcglobal.netxx (drop the x's) he's a good guy to deal with..

This guy on the Pen Shop forum has a pretty good tutorial on antler..
http://sarkon.net/poppopshop/

You'll like doing antler after you get into it.. makes some really nice pens.

guts

Bob,shoot me an e mail with your snail mail address,i can let you have a few pieces,i think you will like turning antler if you don't mind the smell.

bnoles

Thanks so much y'all.

Chuck, great tutorial and source. I really appreciate it.

Bill, email is on it's way and thank you big time.

TexasJohn

Happy New Year Bob - I hope you do not mind me jumping in here on your post but I also have been wondering about doing antler. My brother just visited us about a week ago. At my request, he brought some antler from one of the deer he harvested in Maine this year. I would like to make a pen for him from the antler her brought. I have just finished looking at the tutorial from PopPopShop and it is really great. However, I am wondering if the antler can be done with a CA finish rather than laquer. I like laquer but it dosen't seem to hold up to much wear. Can you or someone else shed a little light on this for me. Thanks in advance for whatever you may suggest. Texas John

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
John,

From what I have read and done, CA is the finish most often used on antler pens. When using axis, which has a very small marrow space, this is perhaps less important. White tail antler has a much larger marrow space. CA is great to use as a sanding slurry to fill in voids in the marrow, and seems a logical choice for the finish of the pen in this case.

FWIW,

John,
I haven't used CA as a finish on deer horn myself... I always use it to glue the tubes in and in cases where I have a lot of marrow, I use Ca to stabilize the marrow. If I have a piece that is pretty solid, no marrow, I usually finish sand to the highest grit I can and leave it natural... or I'll use a plastic friction polish on it... either works well. I think I am going to try the CA finish on some in the future.. I haven't used the Crystal Coat on deer horn yet, but use it pretty regularly on wood finishes.

mdburn_em

Another place to check for antlers is someone/place who processes wild game. Often there are unclaimed antlers and by the end of the season and you can buy them from the business. $8/pound is pretty standard in northern Montana.
I also use CA extensively. If it's a large antler, there will be a lot of marrow, adds color, and I fill the gaps with CA. MM and finish as usual. If it's smaller and you don't get into the marrow, the antler polishes very well.
When I do Elk, I use a whole bunch of CA...probably more CA than antler, usually turns out very nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom