Ready for SWAT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Spent the weekend cutting and drilling blanks for the 'Hands On Penturning' at SWAT this coming weekend. We will be making sierras and slimlines. Vendors are bringing kits for purchase and I will have 5 lathes with Easy Wood Tools pen turning tools, sanding and finishing materials. Blanks, bushings, finishing materials and other needed stuff is furnished by WoodWorldTx in N Dallas.

60 mesquite sierra blanks, 60 afzelia sierra blanks, 65 sets of mesquite slimline blanks, and 50 sets of afzelia slimline blanks along with displays pens.

I hope I have to cut and drill more before the end of the weekend.

For those attending be sure to stop by and visit....or make a pen:biggrin:

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• SWAT1.jpg
    SWAT1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 169
  • SWAT2.jpg
    SWAT2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 162
  • SWAT3.jpg
    SWAT3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 173
  • SWAT4.jpg
    SWAT4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Wow,that sounds like fun! It's great that so many will learn so much from you,there's nothing like "hands on" experience.My father in-law gave me my first lesson like that,and it really helped me out.

Steve

its_virgil

Thanks for the well wishes. This will be the 5th year for the hands on penturning area. I have a lot of fun and enjoy it very much. There will be about 200 pens made if this year is the same as the last 4. Several have made a pen each year.

SWAT is a great symposium. Last year we had right at 900 in attendance. If you ever have a chance to attend it will be well worth the effort. The instant gallery is always a hit as are the raffles. We have a 2 for 1 raffel. The tickets are good for turned items at the Sat nite banquet and then good for the tool raffel on Sunday at lunch. Last year we gave away two lathes... a powermatic 3520B and another large lathe. The same lucky guy won both of them.
Thanks again,
Don

firewhatfire

What kind of drill bit did you use? Drilling that many blanks would dull a bit fairly quick I would think. Wish I could make some of these great events.

Phil

its_virgil

Phil,
The bits I used were brad point bits and they were not new. Exited and removed chips often and when I thought the bit was getting a bit warm I stopped and worked on casting snake skins.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

vwnw

Pen Turning

Hi Don,

I will be in WACO and I will have some NEW abrasives for pen turning and other small item. They are 1" strips. Please stop by and talk with me and I will be happy to donate some strips to your pen turning adventure.

Vince

its_virgil

Thanks Vince. I'll do that. Look forward to meeting you.
Don

Hi Don,

I will be in WACO and I will have some NEW abrasives for pen turning and other small item. They are 1" strips. Please stop by and talk with me and I will be happy to donate some strips to your pen turning adventure.

Vince

Top Bottom