Ready Soon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I have been watching a ton of Capt.. Eddie videos and turning a bunch of 2x2s. I tried some walnut which actually worked better than I thought it would. I think I might like to turn a pen soon and wondered what you folks thought of the starter kits from Penn State. I think they are Indian Rosewood. Any comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I suggest you start with a PSI Bolt Action or a Sierra twist kit and a Curly Maple blank. The Zodiac kit from ExoticBlanks is also very good for starters. All 3 that I have mentioned can be made straight-sided or with a slight bulge. You can buy a package of extra tubes so that you can practice your gluing, end-trimming, and turning. The Curly Maple is cheap and turns well and has a little bit of character. I haven't been real happy with the blanks I've bought from the company you mentioned. You can check the reviews on their website before you buy. Read quite a few reviews.

If you have some walnut, use that as it's a nice wood to look at, work with, and finish.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the Sierra also comes in a push-button (click) version. I wouldn't start with the click kit because assembly is a little more challenging. Stick with the twist version of the Sierra (from Exoticblanks.com and many other sources), Gatsby (Penn State), Mesa (from Woodturningz.com), Manhattan (from Rockler; Craft Supplies USA also has a Manhattan but it is very different from the others - have never used it), Zodiac (from Exoticblanks; my favorite pen of this type), or Wall Street 2 (Woodcraft).

Last edited:

Edward Cypher

+1 on the sierra gatsby, manhattan. The Bolt Action is a single tube also. Zodiac is very cool very similar to the first 3. Also follow Mal's recommendation and order a few extra tubes.

Top Bottom