Reading material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

So how many of you guys bought a book when you started turning??? It seems that a lot of people don't get into things like casting, production turning, or even penturning because they either are lost on where to go or don't want to browse for the information...

So the reason I am mentioning this is because I always wanted to write a book in my life and one of the things I know the most about is penturning and casting. So how do publications on penturning sell? Are people even interested in reading material on the subject or should I write a book of murder mysteries Or something? :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

From what I seen, there are about 3 or 4 good books on beginner pen turning...I have yet to see one on beginner casting. That could be a good idea...now I get 10% commissions for coming up the idea right?:biggrin: I could be your "silent" partner, pay me and I won't say a word:biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Publications

So how many of you guys bought a book when you started turning??? It seems that a lot of people don't get into things like casting, production turning, or even penturning because they either are lost on where to go or don't want to browse for the information...

So the reason I am mentioning this is because I always wanted to write a book in my life and one of the things I know the most about is penturning and casting. So how do publications on penturning sell? Are people even interested in reading material on the subject or should I write a book of murder mysteries Or something? :)

My guess would be they sell pretty well. I needed a book or two on pen turning to even get off the ground.

Pioneerpens

Jonathan, I always wanted to learn how to turn...so on xmas about 5 yrs ago my s/o bought me a mini lathe and a book "learn to turn'.....I am very big on reading about different aspects of woodturning/woodworking...I am a form carpenter by trade although i had to give that up after many years and wanting to still stand upright at the end of the day....I thing a book on casting for penturners is an excellent idea and i'm sure you will get a lot of input here. I wish you luck!

Jmhoff10500

So I have quite a bit of a beginners penturning book written out so what else would be a good thing to add to the contents other than:

Overview of materials needed
walkthrough of each step with pictures of each step
advanced techniques

so how long is the average good beginners book?
What is the average price of a book like that?

Thanks!!!

fyrcaptn

when I decided I wanted to make turned pens I hadn't heard of this site. (fortunately I soon found it!)
I know turners but turning wasn't my concern. Pens. What where how?? I knew no one to turn to for advice, help, answers. So I bought a book. I thought it was expensive but.... It sucked. I eventually bought a very cheap book (by comparison) that was a goldmine of answers. I was hesitant but beginning to think I could actually do it.
I stumbled across and soon had a conversation with EagleSC. I remember at one point saying- for Pete's sake it isn't rocket science its making a stupid pen. He laughed so loud I thought he was going to bust.
He assured me in no uncertain terms, that I could make a pen. I quickly learned the problem would be was in making a pen I wasn't ashamed to have made. Like anything else it comes with experience.
Now I've sold pens and felt I gave a quality product for a fair price.
Our next step I am learning, is loml wants to begin casting. There is indeed a wealth of information written on the pages here. Finding what I need to know when I need it might take some doing. The membership here is very forthcoming. If the right questions are asked the answers are here.

Wildman

I have checked out turning books from the library, and bought tapes and books too! Have several tapes and books collecting dust. I never bought a book on pen turning, too much information on the internet.

Only pen kit instruction that gave me a fit was Patriot click pen. Not sure if they have changed, but included a bushing not needed to complete the kit in instruction.

Think pen turning and casting blanks would fill a void not yet filled. Too many pen begining books & DVD's already out there. Some well known woodturners have found it easier to put out their own DVD's. Might be worth a look at producing a casting pen blanks from a to z DVD and selling it yourself.
Also consider going on demonstration circuit showing folks how it is done. The demonstration circuit (turning clubs & symposiums) will give a lot of feed back.

Good luck which ever way you go!

bitshird

So I have quite a bit of a beginners penturning book written out so what else would be a good thing to add to the contents other than:

advanced techniques

so how long is the average good beginners book?
What is the average price of a book like that?

Thanks!!!

Talk to DCBluesman, he can give you some pointers on writing a book!!!

sbwertz

advanced techniques

Thanks!!!

Finishing! When I started, I didn't have a clue how to finish my pens. Most of the turning books I had didn't really address the finishes available. I bought a bottle of Mylands friction finish, and it didn't have ANY instructions on it. I finally found some YouTube videos that gave me some starters.

PaulDoug

I think there are many things that could go into a book on pen turning. One thing you could go through this and other forums and see the questions asked. That is a starter on what to write about. There are lots of types of finishes and they could all be covered. Woods species and their characteristics. Then into advance pen turning, casting, inlays, segmenting. I would picture a Pen Turners bible. A pretty thick book. Lists of resources, manufactures, suppliers. The list is long and a lot writing and pictures and when all done you go into producing a series of DVD's because I'd rather watch than read. The problem, in my opinion is, there is a relativity small audience. There are really a small amount of pen maker verses population and a small amount of those that will buy a book or DVD. Result would be that you have to charge a high price to try to get your money back and make a profit. I bought one book and to me it wasn't much help. Didn't go far enough or deep enough. I learned more right here on this forum and experimenting on my own. Not trying to discourage you, just looking at reality. For a book to be useful, to me it would need to be a complete coverage of all aspects and lots of material to be able to use it as a reference as a person advances in pen making.

rsulli16

just do it!

a book on casting and pen turning for beginners would be great! I can't wait to see how you work in the sexy dame, gunfights, car chases and various mayhem!( remember books get turned in to movies)

:)
just kidding, but do go for it, life is too short to wonder "what if" later on
Sulli

garys1008

I got my start from the internet, YouTube, and a couple of DVD's from PSI. Would love to see a book on casting though.

seawolf

I think that even better than a book would be a dvd so you can show the processes in real time. They are less expensive than books to make once the original is burned. Remember there are many stages of beginer, first slim, first serria, first baron, ECT.
Mark

dbarbee

I learned most of what I know about pens (admittedly not very much) from watching the Rex & Kip videos. I think if I wrote a book it would have a dvd to accompany it. I'm not sure I could learn much about pen turning from a book. Turning, for me, is something I have to see in real time. I think the book would be mostly for reference. The bulk of the info I would present would be in DVD form.

David

Top Bottom